Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

It would probably be less work, if done right, if these pet stores would just buy a 20-50 gallon tank and divide it. They might even have less betta fish die this way. Half the bettas at the walmart near my house are half dead or already dead. The little cups they're stuck in until someone buys them are probably ridiculously high in ammonia.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #12 
Lion Mom

"What can be done to stop their being sold there?"

STOP PURCHASING THEM!!!!!

I understand your heart is in the right place and you REALLY want to "rescue" these guys, BUT nothing will EVER change as long as they are selling!!!!

WalMart is a retailer and is all about the bottom line. If an item doesn't sell, they stop carrying it - it really IS as simple as that!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #13 
Bettaluver4evr

I know, I havn't bought one from there in forever. :/ I can't rescue any more anyway. 3 from Petco is plenty.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #14 
Sweeda88

In my area, there is one walmart that takes good care of their fish. Two take TERRIBLE care of their fish. At one of them, the water was so dirty that there was fungus growing around the uneaten food. I did get Sequin from Walmart, and I love him, but I no longer want to support their animal abuse.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #15 
Bettaluver4evr

Ugh, me either. All of my bettas come from Petco. The only other place I would go is Petsmart. At least their betta water isn't orange. Is sequin the betta in your avatar?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #16 
Sweeda88

Yes, he is my Avatar. He's a healthy, spunky, fiesty guy. He's also 3 inches long from nose to the end of his tail, and quite tall. I love him.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #17 
Goomba3

After reading a few of these posts, I was thinking "Maybe, the next time I have room for another betta, I'll rescue one from Wal-Mart." But Lionmom has the right idea. To get them to stop selling them, stop purchasing them! If we don't support them and they're not making money off of them, they're going to stop selling them. That's an excellent piece of advice.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #18 
Bettaluver4evr

Sweeda88, your betta is very pretty! And wow, he's a big boy! Hehe. Mine are all between 2-2.5" from their lil noses to the start of thier tail. My HM has a huge tail, so I'm not sure how long total. Goomba3, I agree, but think about how many bettas are going to die before that happens? Honestly, you might as well save a few, because they have been carrying bettas for ages, and since you can't complain about every walmart because some actually do try to care for the bettas... You sure can yell at the manager though!!! Don't hold back on that.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #19 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
... You sure can yell at the manager though!!! Don't hold back on that.

This!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #20 
Goomba3

@Bettaluver: That's true. I usually don't go near the pet section when I go to Wal-Mart, simply because I don't want to see the horrors that are the betta cups. I generally stay away from the bettas in all stores (Wal-Mart, Petco, Petsmart, LPS) because I always want to leave with one. >.>
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote