Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #21 
Bettaluver4evr

Me either! My walmart hadn't carried fish in years, that is why I was so surprised to see them there! The poor dears. I just went to go look at tanks and plants and fun lil things for my fishies... tah-dah! Poor lil bettas.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #22 
Sweeda88

No, he's 3 inches from his nose to the END of his tail, not the start of it. lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #23 
c4talys7

I did that with the Petco near me. I was really grossed out with all their aquatic animals because there were several dead fish in many of the other fish tanks and a lot of Bettas looked half dead. So I went to the site and emailed them and gave the location of the Petco I was at and got a response within two days. The lady said that the store management would be contacted and so would the corporate office. So I like to think that it actually happened and that I made a difference :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
It's not just Wal-Mart. I have been in a couple "respectable" pet stores whose bettas were worse off than anything I've ever seen in PetsMart or Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart near my house sells no live stock at all, and the one by my work keeps their stock low, never having more than two or three bettas at a time, and often none for weeks.

I am willing to bet that "proper care" doesn't always occur even after a fish (or any pet) is taken home - but these things we don't have much control of, and we can't "save" them all.

One of the best ways to make a difference is get involved. Ask to speak with the pet department manager and maybe pass on some literature on the proper care of bettas. They may or may not respond to your requests and advice, but you are the one that gets to leave with knowing you did what you could.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #24 
Bettaluver4evr

Oopsies, Sweeda88! Hehe, sorry, guess I didn't read that correctly! Hehe. My bettas are probably 4-5" total. :P Sorry! Haha. And they usually do contact the store and everything, but sometimes the managers are just jerks... I sure hope it makes a difference somehow! I think I am insane and my parents probably won't let me, but I want to get another crowntail betta. Or maybe a plakat? Hehe, not from walmart, but from the Petco nearest me, because their bettas are usually in decent health...
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #25 
Sweeda88

I want a plakat so badly. They're awesome!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #26 
Bettaluver4evr

Me too! But probably because that is the only type of betta I have never had. I've had Veiltails, Crowntails, HMs, and my brother had a DB that I helped take care of. I have seen plenty of Deltas, and I love the female bettas. But I have never had a Plakat. I want one with lovely colors. :)
Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #27 
Sweeda88

I've only had VT and CT Betta fish. I want something else, dangit! lol
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #28 
Bettaluver4evr

Hehe! I think Double Tails are lovely, I reccomend them too... :) My brother had one, and the 1 picture I have of him is as blurry as all get out, but oh well... He was so sweet. Sadly, he has since passed.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #29 
Sweeda88

I'm going to be getting another Betta for the middle section of my divided 10 gallon soon, but I don't have the budget to get something more expensive than a VT. They have nice, healthy ones at my LPS, so I will probably get one there. They are also CHEAPER than even Walmart!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #30 
Bettaluver4evr

Hehe, now that is an accomplishment! Hehe. Surprisingly, veiltails at the petco near me are less than walmart bettas too. They are $3.96 instead of $4.69. Shocker. :P