Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #1 
BettasForever

Question Don't tell me THIS is too small...

I just got this new tank yesterday.Its really super awesome, but I'd like to know if it's too small.

In this tank, I have:

1X Airstone
1X Light
1X Male Betta
2X Plastic Plants
And lots of gravel lol!
Attached Images

BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

I certainly don't think this setup is too small. I wouldn't go any smaller than a half gallon tank with bettas, and this is 4x that, so I think it is fine. And it's filtered! :D I keep my bettas in 1) 1 gallon filtered tank 2) 1.2 gallon vase (of course I feed the fish and clean the tank! :P) 3)1.5 gallon heated tank. All of my bettas are happy and healthy, so I am sure your's is too! I like your tank and your fishy, he's cute. :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 
Emmalea

Well, if you go by the Gallon fo each inch of fish rule then yes it is a little on the small side. However as long as you keep up on water changes and your fish is happy then it should work fine.
It looks like you have a pretty good setup there, but you might want to invest in a heater if you don't already have one.
He might also like something to hide in, maybe a cave or castle.

Congrats on your tank, and your fish he is very cute!
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

That is not too small, and Emmalea, the 1 inch of fish per gallon isn't usually followed that strictly with Betta fish anyway.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

I agree, betta fish seem to follow that rule only as a suggestion or guideline than an actual rule (hehe, pirates of the carribean... good times...). He looks great!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #6 
Emmalea

Yeah, I know it's not really followed though I wish it was more. Anyway I'm not saying Bettasforever's tank is bad at all, I think it is a cute little setup and I'm sure that her fish will be happy in it, and its always great to see people who really care about their fish. :)
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Yeah, sure! I definitely care about my fish, but if I followed that rule I would have 3 4 gallon tanks, and I'm just a teenager, so that is kind of extreme... but my bettas are happy! Hehe. My HM just got a heater today, and he loves it. Cold front brought the temp to 69 degrees last night, so I put the heater in at 9:00 this morning and the temperature has been slowly climbing and is now about 79-80. :)
Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #8 
LucyLoofa

I'd get rid of the plastic plants. they will tear his fins. You'll also need a heater. Bettas are tropical fish that need constant tropical temperatures.
Also since I'm assuming you have a hood for that tank, go ahead and fill the water in higher. A half inch from the top should be a good stopping point.
The only way a 2 gallon unplanted will work is with daily/ every other day 75-100% water changes. He also doesn't need the air stone. It's not really filtering your water, and all it's doing is creating surface water movement that makes it hard for the betta to eat.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
Yeah, sure! I definitely care about my fish, but if I followed that rule I would have 3 4 gallon tanks, and I'm just a teenager, so that is kind of extreme... but my bettas are happy! Hehe. My HM just got a heater today, and he loves it. Cold front brought the temp to 69 degrees last night, so I put the heater in at 9:00 this morning and the temperature has been slowly climbing and is now about 79-80. :)
I bet your guy is really loving the heater, temperature is such a big deal to bettas. I remember the time I moved my boy to a new tank so I could change the gravel in his tank, It was only a little colder then his tank (about 77-78 insted of his normal 79-80) and let me tell you I have never seen a fish give me such a dirty look in my life, total stink eye. lol.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #10 
ChicagoPete

O.- ''''stink eye'''''' hahaha
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote