Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #11 
Bettaluver4evr

Haha, wow! Yeah, he definitely likes the heater. I also JUST put in a little whisper filter. I was nervous about using it again because he seemed annoyed by the current. But the current is so slight, his bubblenest is still exactly where he built it. Do you think he is just being a brat? I was hoping he would get used to it, so he could have a filtered, heated and clean 1.5 gallon tank...
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #12 
ChicagoPete

My Boy Titan Likes his :P
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #13 
Bettaluver4evr

I will wait and see then. I hope he likes the filter, it will help me out! Keep his water cleaner, longer. Win-win! But if he is really suffering I will take it out.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely tank and it is just fine for this species-you base your stocking on not just adult size of the fish-but also swimming needs, territory issues as well...due to the long fins of the Betta they often do better in smaller tanks with limited water movement...sometimes filters can cause problems for the fins as well as cause the fish to tire easily....especially as the Betta ages and the fins get heavy...that a lot of weight to carry around....

In a 2gal tank with the airstone I would make 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week-unless you add a filter and then 50% twice a week should maintain water quality-1-water only and 1-include the substrate by vacuuming or stir and dip method...provided that you don't overfeed and remove any uneaten food after feeding...

You may need to remove the plastic plants they can sometimes cause fin damage...silk works better or live plants and live plants can also help with water quality especially in smaller tanks

As posted water temp is really important for this species of fish....a stable water temp in the 76-80F

Nutrition is important too-a good varied diet of small frequent meals are tolerated best.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #15 
LucyLoofa

Woah! Good call! I waaay overestimated the necessary amount of water changes! I'm very very sorry!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #16 
Sweeda88

See, I prefer to have my females in larger tanks because they're more active than the males. I really wouldn't feel all that bad keeping a male in, say, a one gallon, as long is it has a lid so I can fill it up all the way. Especially if they have large fins. Now, if I had a male plakat, I would make sure to have a larger tank for more swimming room since he wouldn't be hindered like his longer finned cousins.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #17 
JKfish

bettaluver4ever: technically, unless you cycle your tank, the filter won't to much for the water quality. It'll filter out stuff you can see, but the ammonia and such will still be in the water. If you do a fish in cycle, as the tank is cycling you'll need to do frequent small water changes, but no 100% water changes, and because its so small, even once it is cycled, you'll still want to stick with a pretty frequent cleaning schedule, the cycle in a smaller tank is more of a safety back up plan should you not be able to do a water change say for a day or two.

Emmalea: Lol, since OFL has spoken, you're pretty much set with info. Your betta is beautiful, and I'm sure he'll enjoy his new home.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #18 
Bettaluver4evr

Thanks, JKfish. I do partial water changes all of the time, and I watch my bettas closely about the temperature and things. I do full one hundred percent water changes when I need to. :D