Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Petco Betta Fishies

I have never had horrible experiences at Petco, and they usually have at least moderately clean betta water. The bettas aren't usually super spunky, but they flare and have their fins out. My latest experience there was the worst. 2 weeks ago today, I got a betta at petco. I should have waited for the build a betta thingy, but I didn't want a veiltail, so it wouldn't have worked very well. Well, I was looking at the bettas and I saw this poor little "Delta Tail" in a cup in the corner. His water was very cloudy and I could hardly tell what color he was. I picked up his cup, and then he turned super speedy and started swimming really fast in circles. I thought he would be stunning if I fixed him up, so I bought him. After the hour car ride home, he was looking worse. I cleaned a little tank very quickly and put him in. He was doing better and he kept his fins out a little more, but I wasn't sure if he was going to get sick or not. Well, 2 weeks later he has a new tank. As you can see from my avatar, he is no Delta tail. He was a mislabled BFHM. He has recovered very well and is a happy fishy, blowing bubble nests. :D I would like you to tell me what you think of my little rescue. Worth it? Here are some before and after shots. :) The first 2 pics are befores, the second 2 are afters.
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 
BettasForever

Grr! You have the same iPod I put in the washing machine! (By accident,same color too...) Gorgeous fish, how big is the tank? (gal.?)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

LOL, bummer! My old Ipod was stolen on a train. I love this fish, he is so stunning! That tank is 1.5 gallons. I just put a heater in this morning because we had a cold front and his water went down to 69 degrees, yikes! I would have a filter in there too, but his fins are so big the little filter I have just pushes him around, and Butterfly hates it.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #4 
BettasForever

Oh goodness, I just realized you're the person I was talking with. Woops. :3 I didn't see you're avatar, I was like, "This fish looks like bettaluver4evers's...."
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

LOL, it's all good! Hehe. I know, there are so many people on the forum! It's great though.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

He's gorgeous, as you already know. c:

You should put some live plants in there, like anubias nana or a java fern. He'll love them, and in my experience natural plants make bettas' colors look brighter!

Nice rescue! And hey, a HM for the price of a delta? I'd take that! :P
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #7 
Luimeril

Petco gets some nice bettas in. i'm happy that when i went to my local petco yesterday, the cups were clean, the bettas were active, and i totally fell for this DTHMPK, but he is $15! Dx

your boy's stunning. :3 i've noticed alot of pet stores get Deltas and HMs mixed up. x3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

Hehe, thanks so much, FuulieQ, hehe. I would love live plants, but they scare me because I've heard sooooo many stories about bettas getting Ich from contaminated plants. I've lost 2 battles with Betta Ich before, I am scared to risk it again. I know, I am blessed with a good eye with Petco bettas. Luimeril, I can't believe the number of mixups lately! I spent $13 on a betta labled Halfmoon a year ago that was a simple delta, and now I got a HM for $7.50 that was labled Delta. I really don't think these people know their bettas! Hehe. And thanks! Butterfly is so spoiled with compliments. :P
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

Really? O_o I've never had a problem with it. Conveniently, though, Petco sells sterilized plants in tubes - actually, they offer the two kinds I recommended to you. They're snail free and totally clean! No bleaching required! :> Java ferns are called tropica ferns on the package, though - oops. :I

It's really nice, they're low-light plants that don't require fertilizer, so they're quite easy.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 
Abby

-sly look- if he were to mistakenly go missing ....... Don't come search my tanks -whistles innocently-
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote