Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #21 
elijahfeathers

I'm sorry you're not happy with the fish you've gotten. Bettas are aggressive by nature, and the ones that we breed come form long lines of fish that were bred to be as aggressive as possible, used for fighting spot. They are in general not going to do well with other of their own kind. I don't think however this means that they 'deserve' to be put into tiny little cups for their whole lives. Humans, as a whole, are the ones who made them so madly aggressive via breeding.

Perhaps at the end of this all, even if you're returning your girls, you could pick one and just have a happy fish in a nice environment with some other fish that it would get along with.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

I don't know if you were being sarcastic with your last answer or not, but I don't understand why you weren't more prepared for your sorority not to work out. Half the posts on here with people who have just set up a sorority on whim and thrown in a bunch of adult, unrelated female end up in disaster.

It's not something that is going to run smoothly from day one, and people who are familiar with bettas understand it might never work. That's why you should have the facilities to separate females if the fighting doesn't resolve itself.

That's part of the responsibility of pet ownership. It's cruel to just take them back because of something that is an intrinsic part of their nature. It's like dumping a cat at the pound because it ate your pet bird
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #23 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinAL View Post
Bettas are not for me. These are going back into the tiny cups where they belong. They will be nursed back to full health as quickly as possible and then returned to the store. I will simply "donate" them back and consider this an education.

These fish simply hate each other on a level we humans can't comprehend. I wouldn't risk trying it again even with a pair of newborn female conjoined-at-the-head identical twins in an olympic-sized swimming pool.

Ralph
You obviously are not a patient fish keeper and as such sorority tanks are not for you. Here is a good informative article on female betta's....

http://www.better-bettas.com/a/female-betta-fish.shtml
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #24 
bettafish15

I will never again feel sorry for them. They almost don't deserve anything better.

Well thats kind of harsh... but I suppose your just upset it didnt work out. Patience is needed with this kind of thing, and some sororities do work out.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #25 
RCinAL

I am frustrated. This has been my biggest failure in almost 40 years of fish keeping. I am also a realist. And the reality here is that 90% of all Betta Splendens will spend their entire lives in a cup. I used to take offense to it and even felt sorry for the fish, but not any more. The fish themselves dictate this practice and I was just forced (reality slapped) to accept the fact, that's all.

I am a life-long aquarist, and keeping Bettas just doesn't fit neatly under this title. Keeping Bettas is actually a hobby of it's own, or at best it is a highly specialized niche in the aquarium hobby. And it isn't for everyone, me included.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice and comments, but I didn't do this to have my own private Armageddon. I respectfully admit defeat before any fish dies and will avoid keeping any more Betta Splendens. I enjoy watching fish co-exist and react to each other in mostly positive ways, not tear each other limb from limb.

Hope to communicate with some of you again under other headings on threads where I can relate some of my many successes.

Ralph
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #26 
vaygirl

Some fish just can't have tank mates. It doesn't make them a fish who deserves a tiny cup. I just means they have special needs. I have 4 males in 4 planted tanks, 5 gallons, and one 10. They're beautiful fish in beautiful tanks.

They're obviously not the fish for you. All the information on aggression is out there and it's a reputation that's deserved. But a life in a cup? No. That's not deserved. They are solitary fish and they need their own tank. A tank, like you'd give any living creature. Not a dixie cup. That just sounds like sour grapes to me.

I realize you're maybe a little bitter towards bettas because it didn't succeed. Honestly, they're smart, engaging, and lively predators. That's why we love them. I wish you luck with whatever your next project is.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #27 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Some fish just can't have tank mates. It doesn't make them a fish who deserves a tiny cup. I just means they have special needs. I have 4 males in 4 planted tanks, 5 gallons, and one 10. They're beautiful fish in beautiful tanks.

They're obviously not the fish for you. All the information on aggression is out there and it's a reputation that's deserved. But a life in a cup? No. That's not deserved. They are solitary fish and they need their own tank. A tank, like you'd give any living creature. Not a dixie cup. That just sounds like sour grapes to me.

I realize you're maybe a little bitter towards bettas because it didn't succeed. Honestly, they're smart, engaging, and lively predators. That's why we love them. I wish you luck with whatever your next project is.
Thanks for the wishes, vaygirl.

I know Bettas are all the wonderful things you said of them. They are truly special pets for special owners. I just found out I am not special enough.

Ralph
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #28 
BettaHeart

thats so sad.

I have 6 girls in a 10gal with an apple snail. and decos and they do have their hissy-fits now and then but i expected that when i started the sorority in december. Its amazing watching them and i do have a laugh now and then when something looks odd, like the time Girlie was chasing Jess and just as Jess was rounding a plant she smacked heads with Sugar and the look all three had was hilarious. But anyways sorry you couldnt just breath and let the girls sort themselves out but as others have put it sororities are for patient keepers.
Good luck
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #29 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinAL View Post
I am frustrated. This has been my biggest failure in almost 40 years of fish keeping.Ralph
I don't see how you failed, . As a fish hobbyist all that's required of you is to let nature run its course and in this case allow the females to figure out their pecking order, nothing more nothing less.

Your example here is no different then a hobbyist calling himself a failure because he is not patient enough to allow a tank to cycle.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #30 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
I don't see how you failed, . As a fish hobbyist all that's required of you is to let nature run its course and in this case allow the females to figure out their pecking order, nothing more nothing less.

Your example here is no different then a hobbyist calling himself a failure because he is not patient enough to allow a tank to cycle.
I just don't have the stomach for all the bullying. I was holding up fine though till the red fish wound up nearly mutilated, then I lost my nerve. I wondered who would be next and wasn't willing to risk it. I may keep the red one since she will carry scars and be hard to find a new home for. If so she will inherit a place in the tank without other Bettas.

I swear, I have kept hundreds of the meanest cichlids over the years in community tanks with other, less robust species and have even had them spawn in those tanks many times. As long as tankmates respected their space they would usually be left alone and not molested - even wimpy ones. Not so with Bettas. They just hate each other.