Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #31 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinAL View Post
Well, I am convinced all of you are right. There is a reason these fish languish in tiny cups and jars their entire lives - they obviously like it that way. I will never again feel sorry for them. They almost don't deserve anything better.

Today one fish, a pearl with red fins, was chewed up pretty good and almost every one had minor fin damage. The colors are not great in any of them either. And yet, the bickering and bullying continues. These are 7 females in a 33 gallon community tank (same as a 55 but not as tall) with mostly Tetras and Glo-fish. There are plenty of plants and other places for them to hide and find comfort and solitude, but no, they choose to seek each other out and be miserable instead.

Bettas are not for me. These are going back into the tiny cups where they belong. They will be nursed back to full health as quickly as possible and then returned to the store. I will simply "donate" them back and consider this an education.

These fish simply hate each other on a level we humans can't comprehend. I wouldn't risk trying it again even with a pair of newborn female conjoined-at-the-head identical twins in an olympic-sized swimming pool.

Ralph
I don't like you, mostly for that first paragraph.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #32 
vaygirl

I never started a sorority because I don't have the nerve. I'd be too paranoid over every little thing. I'm happy with my singles. You could try that in the future. One betta in a tank, especially a male, can be very pretty. They want to interact with you instead of other fish. I know Cichlids can be the same way.

I even tried Tango (my avatar) in a 16 gallon with Corydoras and they were fine for a year and a half and then suddenly he was chasing them nonstop. It was like old man, get off my lawn syndrome. He's living on his own now and the Corys share with Endlers. It can go wrong at any point. I lost my will to take chances because of it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #33 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I never started a sorority because I don't have the nerve. I'd be too paranoid over every little thing. I'm happy with my singles. You could try that in the future. One betta in a tank, especially a male, can be very pretty. They want to interact with you instead of other fish. I know Cichlids can be the same way.

I even tried Tango (my avatar) in a 16 gallon with Corydoras and they were fine for a year and a half and then suddenly he was chasing them nonstop. It was like old man, get off my lawn syndrome. He's living on his own now and the Corys share with Endlers. It can go wrong at any point. I lost my will to take chances because of it.
You have got me worried about my 10 gal community now lol. But the betta in there is female so... hopefully it will work out. I've never had the nerve to do a sorority tank either.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #34 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
I don't like you, mostly for that first paragraph.
Peaches, easy. Everyone is entitled to their own stance on things; if you don't agree, then refrain from engaging in the conversation and use that energy to better the lives of the creatures you're sticking up for.
Telling a man you've never met you don't like him won't solve a thing, especially when it's been addressed several times.

This thread got really critical really fast. In the worst way.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #35 
turtle10

Angry I can't believe this

"There is a reason these fish languish in tiny cups and jars their entire lives - they obviously like it that way"

Um no, the reason is that many people just don't care and want to make money, or are too lazy to bother with adequate care. It does not mean they like it. The bettas are not choosing to live in tiny cups because they wan't to, HUMANS put them there.

" I will never again feel sorry for them."

Why? Because they were doing something natural? How can you not feel sorry for these poor fish that are usually kept in horrid conditions? You yourself said you kept aggressive cichlids so you must understand that aggression and hunting/killing instincts are many times present in animals, no matter how domesticated they are. The way the bettas act is how they survive, not for our entertainment or pleasure.

"They almost don't deserve anything better. "

I can't think of any other fish in the world that deserves better care right now. They are kept in tiny cups!

"These are going back into the tiny cups where they belong."

They belong in a good home where they will get proper care.

"These fish simply hate each other on a level we humans can't comprehend"

Yes, we can. Bettas fight to survive. What do we humans do? We murder and hurt each other, and MANY times not for survival, but for money, or in cold blood. Bettas are noble, intelligent creatures that deserve lots of swimming place and a cozy heater.

Hey guys, I am sorry if I rambled on, but I haven't gotten this mad in a looong time. This really irked me.

Last edited by turtle10; 01-27-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Let emotions get best of me and I wrote when angry.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #36 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
"There is a reason these fish languish in tiny cups and jars their entire lives - they obviously like it that way"

Um no, the reason is that many people just don't care and want to make money, or are too lazy to bother with adequate care. It does not mean they like it. The bettas are not choosing to live in tiny cups because they wan't to, HUMANS put them there.

Why? Because they were doing something natural? How can you not feel sorry for these poor fish that are usually kept in horrid conditions? You yourself said you kept aggressive cichlids so you must understand that aggression and hunting/killing instincts are many times present in animals, no matter how domesticated they are. The way the bettas act is how they survive, not for our entertainment or pleasure.

I can't think of any other fish in the world that deserves better care right now. They are kept in tiny cups!

Yes, we can. Bettas fight to survive. What do we humans do? We murder and hurt each other, and MANY times not for survival, but for money, or in cold blood. Bettas are noble, intelligent creatures that deserve lots of swimming place and a cozy heater.

Hey guys, I am sorry if I rambled on, but I haven't gotten this mad in a looong time. This really irked me.
I completely and whole-heartedly agree.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #37 
turtle10

I wanted to cry when I read what he wrote :(

I honestly couldn't believe a person could feel like that.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #38 
Alex09

What is this PETA? calm down... The OP is just (understandably) frustrated, give him a break...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #39 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
What is this PETA? calm down... The OP is just (understandably) frustrated, give him a break...
Yeah.. He's obviously backed off, and I have a feeling might not come back(?) from this.
I dont agree with what he said at all, not in the slightest, but eesh.. :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #40 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post

Holy Cow Batman. Talk about perfection. Well put......
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote