Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #41 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
What is this PETA? calm down... The OP is just (understandably) frustrated, give him a break...
I am really sorry if I came across as PETA-like or harsh, it's just that these are living animals, so it is sort of serious to say comments like those. It really sends the wrong message when an experienced aquarist says such ignorant things. Bettas have it bad enough already and he was basically supporting that, I believe.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #42 
BettaHeart

well said turtle10 i agree
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #43 
PewPewPew

I agree, too, but I think it's been addressed enoughish :c Let's not perpetuate his distain and anger, let's just let it die. :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #44 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
What is this PETA? calm down... The OP is just (understandably) frustrated, give him a break...
lol, am sorry but self proclaimed 30+ year experienced Fish keepers who admits to owning Cichlid's (Kings of Quarreling amongst themselves) don't get visibly shaken & quit altogether watching a flock of betta females in a tank for 2 days,
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #45 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Yeah.. He's obviously backed off, and I have a feeling might not come back(?) from this.
I dont agree with what he said at all, not in the slightest, but eesh.. :c
Thanks for disagreeing with dignity and compassion, PewPewPew.

Actually, I've just been busy. I did want to let this thread die, but after finding the latest string of hate-laced responses, I guess now I have to explain myself again.

I have very little experience with "game" animals. Research on this forum and others suggested the chances were good that 7 females would co-exist under the conditions I painstakingly administered. I really thought I wanted to keep some of these beautiful fish and had every reason to believe if anyone had succeeded, I would too being armed with 38 years of experience in keeping tropical fish. When it didn't happen, I became frustrated and said some regretful things. I think I already explained this and probably even asked for forgiveness.

I admitted my mistakes here and am now making a sincere, humane attempt to do what is best for the fish. The red one is in the tank alone and doing fine. I will keep her. The others are back in their cups. I don't like it either, but don't see another way to keep them from killing each other till they can be fattened up, healed, returned, and resold. They were in cups when I bought them, and in a week or 2 someone else will hopefully take them home in a cup and release them into their own private tank. That is the best I can do. It is not like I am flushing them down the toilet or shipping them to Michael Vick.

Everyone now knows of my fantastic failure. Like I said before, I hope to communicate with some of you on other forums where I can cordially share some of my many triumphs.

Ralph

And BTW... To answer the person who made the related remarks - Cichlids compare to Bettas like Domineckers compare to Gamecocks. One settles for dominance over their living rivals. The other settles for nothing less than dead rivals. I now understand this completely and this concludes my desire to keep any game animals, Bettas included. We live and learn.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #46 
sjones

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
"There is a reason these fish languish in tiny cups and jars their entire lives - they obviously like it that way"

Um no, the reason is that many people just don't care and want to make money, or are too lazy to bother with adequate care. It does not mean they like it. The bettas are not choosing to live in tiny cups because they wan't to, HUMANS put them there.

" I will never again feel sorry for them."

Why? Because they were doing something natural? How can you not feel sorry for these poor fish that are usually kept in horrid conditions? You yourself said you kept aggressive cichlids so you must understand that aggression and hunting/killing instincts are many times present in animals, no matter how domesticated they are. The way the bettas act is how they survive, not for our entertainment or pleasure.

"They almost don't deserve anything better. "

I can't think of any other fish in the world that deserves better care right now. They are kept in tiny cups!

"These are going back into the tiny cups where they belong."

They belong in a good home where they will get proper care.

"These fish simply hate each other on a level we humans can't comprehend"

Yes, we can. Bettas fight to survive. What do we humans do? We murder and hurt each other, and MANY times not for survival, but for money, or in cold blood. Bettas are noble, intelligent creatures that deserve lots of swimming place and a cozy heater.

Hey guys, I am sorry if I rambled on, but I haven't gotten this mad in a looong time. This really irked me.
This posting is awesome and has heart, don't beat yourself up for standing up for how you believe we should treat animals! And PETA is awesome, if it weren't for them there would not be many of the changes towards humane care of animals.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #47 
turtle10

Thanks sjones :)

And RCinAL, I don't think people had a problem with you wanting to return them. I myself have returned mollies back once before. Also, please don't consider it a failure. The bettas did something natural, which was fight, and unfortunately it look a life, which wasn't your fault. It is also not a failure that you want to return them. What people did have a problem with were your harsh comments. This is first and foremost a Betta Fish forum, and though I am not a moderator or administrator, I do believe that means showing respect for bettas and the betta owners on here. Bettas are not for everyone, and that is perfectly okay. What is not okay is posting mean and disrespectful comments about bettas on a betta forum.

I do apologize if I come across overly critical, I just have a strong belief of at least having some respect for all animals, even if I don't like them.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #48 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Thanks sjones :)

And RCinAL, I don't think people had a problem with you wanting to return them. I myself have returned mollies back once before. Also, please don't consider it a failure. The bettas did something natural, which was fight, and unfortunately it look a life, which wasn't your fault. It is also not a failure that you want to return them. What people did have a problem with were your harsh comments. This is first and foremost a Betta Fish forum, and though I am not a moderator or administrator, I do believe that means showing respect for bettas and the betta owners on here. Bettas are not for everyone, and that is perfectly okay. What is not okay is posting mean and disrespectful comments about bettas on a betta forum.

I do apologize if I come across overly critical, I just have a strong belief of at least having some respect for all animals, even if I don't like them.
Thanks. I do love fish of all kinds and work hard to provide them with outstanding conditions. I mowed yards and worked all summer when I was 12 years old and bought my first 29 gallon set up. My parents thought I was crazy. Then, when my fish started spawning and I was raising babies by the hundred, they couldn't stay away from the aquarium. I have kept fish ever since. This particular experience just left me flattened and angry.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #49 
turtle10

As all people are different, so are all fish. That is why it great that there are so many types of fish, so everyone can have some that they like and can bond/connect with. It is almost like cats and dogs, some people are just betta people and some are just (insert fish name here lol) people.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #50 
shinybetta

Generally, sororities end in failure. Don't feel bad, I too have quit. Nothing against sorority keepers, but after mine failed I realized that they will have a better life on their own, unless in a large tank. If kept as babies possibly, but still, it is like living your entire life in a house bickering with your sisters. You will be stressed and not as happy.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote