Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
Greynova27

Question Medicine Dosage Question

So one of my boys has fin rot and I bought some Melafix. The thing is, it only has instructions on the dose for a 10 gallon tank. How much should one use for a 2 gallon?

It states 1 teaspoon per 10 gallon.
Greynova27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Have you tried water changes and aquarium salt 10 day treatment?....often that is the best treatment and less harsh on the fish.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 
Greynova27

I have done more frequent water changes but not the aquarium salt. Any suggestions though on how much melafix to use? Maybe a drop?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry, I don't use the OTC products...I have better luck using natural treatments....less harm/harshness on both the livestock and environment...and better results overall....

Happy to help you out with the aquarium salt treatment if you would like....

I am sure someone else will be along to help with the dosage....
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 
Malvolti

When using Melafix you have to use a 1/2 dose on Bettas. So 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons. One teaspoon is roughly 5 ml so that's 2.5ml per 10 gallons. So 0.5 ml per 2 gallons.

Personally I would recommend using anything BUT Melafix. The active ingredient in that is highly toxic to Bettas (hence the 1/2 dose) and I've never seen it work. As OFL said start with DAILY water changes and aquarium salt, one teaspoon per gallon. That should clear just about everything. IF that doesn't work then move to something like Erythromycin which I find is gentler on the fish and more effective on fin rot.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #6 
Greynova27

Should I return the Melafix then? I already bought it and it's expensive... Does Petco normally take back unopened stuff?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If it is unopened they should take it back...especially if you just bought it.....

On the aquarium salt treatment-it is easier to pre-mix some treatment water and you can also add tannins- this is helpful in the healing and fin re-growth along with good nutrition..

Get a 1gal jug (I use a cleaned 1gal milk jug) and fill with dechlorinated water- add 1tsp of aquarium salt and tannin source from either oak leaf or IAL or blackwater extract or even decaf green tea bag will work in a pinch....add one of these tannin sources and let it steep for 1 hour before you use it....the longer it steeps the more tannins are released the darker the water the better the Betta will like it....shake well before use and use this pre-mix treatment water for the 100% daily water changes for 10 days

It is best if you QT the Betta in a small container with a lid (the cups some Bettas are sold in work great for this) attach this QT container to the inside of the heated tank to maintain water temp (I use duct tape to attach the QT to the tank) By using a small QT you have more control and easier to observe the fish as well-also removing them from the tank that has filters will help in the fin re-growth

Once the fin rot is cleared up-and this can take 5-10 days...it may take another 10-30 days to get full re-growth of the fins...depending on the amount of damage, age of fish, history of past fin issue...etc.....sometimes the fin may never look the same or return to their full glory....healing and re-growth takes time, clean water and good nutrition.....

Nutrition is also important in the healing process...feed small amount several times a day of high protein meaty foods....
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #8 
Greynova27

Thank you so much, I will definitely be trying this and I will pick up some aquarium salt when I head back to Petco tomorrow to return the Melafix. Is the aquarium salt just with the fish supplies normally?