Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 
baylee767

Angry WHY???? Why must my tank not cycle?????

I'm guessing my tank isn't going to cycle. It's been over 4 weeks with nothing really happening, so I'm going to do a huge water change and clear out the ammonia and then add Neon to the tank. If I could I'd post an add on craigslist for a big hand full of substrate from a cycled tank, but my dad insist that no I can't because who'd want to do that. My whole family is impatient for this tank to cyle, so oh well. How long will a fish in cycle take with one male Betta in the tank? I need to have it cycled by March. How often should I do water changes?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2 
DormDrax

Mine took a turn for the worse as well...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 
kfish

With absolutely no seeding, it took 8 weeks for my 5 gallon tank to cycle fish-in.

How large is your tank? I did weekly 50%-75% changes, depending on water parameters.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #4 
baylee767

Sorry I forgot to add that. It's 10 gallons... I was thinking of also adding a mystery snail since they're sold large at my LFS, but I know absolutely nothing about them.... yet.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #5 
HarleyRigid

Sorry your cycle isn't working Baylee. Don't mean to offend but i think you may have fiddled too much... shrimp in... shrimp out etc. I believe we started cycling around the same time (New Years). I put my shrimp in and did nothing else but test levels. My ammonia has spiked and dropped, nitrite has spiked and dropped and nitrate is at 160ppm (my shrimp is still in to feed the bacteria). I am waiting a few days just to make sure everything is stable and will be stocking my tank probably next weekend (cause I want to go shopping n get some cories in before I put Rocky in). I will remove my shrimp and water change the day before I stock.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

As it says in the cycle thread... 'your best friends during the cycle are patience and a good liquid test kit.'
Just gotta let it do its thing

Last edited by HarleyRigid; 01-22-2011 at 12:28 AM.
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #6 
baylee767

I know *twitch eye* But I'm turning impatient. BUT....

IS IT???? Tell me now, IS IT!!!! (Maniac feeling right now) I read on someones thread that they had a bacteria colony because they saw a brown bundle of something. Well, in some of the Anarchis stems there are stringy brown bunches (Not parts of the anarchis), and tiny clear strings on the glass. It looks like bacteria if it's visible, and if it is something's wrong with my testing kit... But is it? Is the bacteria even visible? *Crosses fingers* If not I'm going to start fresh *sigh*. The ammonia did spike DOWN, so I was wondering if it was the plants or not... but it spiked down suddenly and stayed there. Maybe I've got a colony of bacteria...? Somebody?

I sound koo-koo right now don't I.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #7 
baylee767

BTW. I'm super impatient right now about cycling because I have a deadine. I'm going on a month long trip to Europe in March, and someones coming who will only feed the fish, not change water. A cycled tank could stand that, but Neon is his 2.5 gallon tank will not last through that very well. I need the tank to cycle, or I feel I have to give him away or something since I know nobody who likes or owns fish ),= Or he'd die from ammonia poisoning, that or get bad fin rot, pop eye, etc. He get's lethargic if I miss one of his twice weekly waterhanges by a day. No way he could last that long like that.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #8 
Scrambles

Dude, seriously, just throw some live plants in there and be done with it already. Go to your LFS, buy a couple live plants and ask them to throw in a handful of the gravel from their plant tank...BAM instant cycle. Trust me, it really is that easy.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
Dude, seriously, just throw some live plants in there and be done with it already. Go to your LFS, buy a couple live plants and ask them to throw in a handful of the gravel from their plant tank...BAM instant cycle. Trust me, it really is that easy.
Go to http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

Seriously I got them in 3 days...

Their huge! The plants are gorgeous! Seriously the HornWort TAKES UP the whole back right corner. I thought Drax wouldn't like it... yet I found Drax swimming through it.
Also the LITTLE plants you see... in the shells were from Petsmart and were like 5$ Yet look in the back left and right corners... each of those were only 3$ online hahaha. The moss floating in the top right was like... 3$, the vine in the FRONT right was like 2$, and the Banana Plants in the shell Center Back were around 3$ only paid for one but they threw in a baby one for free! Apparently the little leaves on them extend up to the water surface like lily pads.

Anyway... They came in GREAT condition! Wrapped in Wet Newspaper, in airfilled bag, wrapped in Fiberglass insulation, and then wrapped in Paper with the Shipping info lol.

Just get them online...

Yet after all these new plants... guess where I caught him sleeping earlier when I checked on him.
He sleeps alot at night haha...

He sleeps on the Submerged Vine on that left loop of it. Where the leaves are almost completely flat. I think the vine is either just perfect as a Betta Bed or it's a reminder of coming into my care since that vine was the first thing I sorta went out of my way to get him... then as you can see it all just snowballed.

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-22-2011 at 04:46 AM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #10 
baylee767

I tried that already... Except my dad wont let me seed it, I'll ask if I can take gravel from the LFS, and he'll say it;s badly infected with ich.

I'll ask to post a craigslist add to get some gravel. He says no one would want to give away fishtank substrate. I think i may end up putting up an add anyways...

I have lots of liveplants. They just aren't doing anything /= that or my testkit is messed up.