Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
peachesxo

New betta!!

Just got my new crowntail betta today and have just introduced him to his new tank, he seems to be loving it already and there seemed to be no period of initial shock at all. He has already explored most all of it (minus his caves) and seems to be a pretty healthy little dude

When should i give him his first meal? I know you need to be very careful to not overfeed them in the begininng (or at all)
I have Hikari betta pellets and also picked up some blood worms- i also have the flakes but i am not planning on feeding him those since apparently they hate them, they came free with the kit is all.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #2 
demonr6

Ditch the flakes, if you can afford it buy some frozen daphnia and brine shrimp to add to the diet, varying what you feed him. Not too heavy on the pellets if at all possible or the brine shrimp. That is left up to interpretation but what I gather from reading up in the forums varying the diet and laying off the pellets and freeze dried is the better method. And please don't overfeed else you will end up with a horrible mess on your hands.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Yippy, congrats! A new fishy! Hehe, I second Demonr6, feed a varying diet. It'll keep their colors brighter and the fish healthier. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #4 
BettasForever

I just got some freeze-dried bloodworms and my little Comet loves them! They're the Topfin ones. I HIGHLY suggest you look into them, it's a great treat for your fishy friend. ;)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

My bettas loooooove freeze dried bloodworms! I feed mine the Tetra brand. There is a blue veiltail and a neon tetra on the container. :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 
demonr6

Don't feed them the freeze dried bloodworms too often, if anything give them as occasional treats. I have seen it posted on here often to ease back on too much of the bloodworms in the diet as it can cause ill effects. We have one of ours that has been in rehab now for over a month due to swim bladder and constipation issues and the main diet consisted of pellets and freeze dried bloodworms. I now am very vary of feeding them to Max and Marco will probably never eat them again after this ordeal. Please read up on it and don't end up in a predicament like our or worse!
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote