Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 
JKfish

A bitten and red streaked tail

aaarrggh >.< Phoebe has a huge chunk missing from her tail, and I don't know if she bit it, or if the harlequins did that to her. Along with that, on the lower portion of her tail, there is a bright red streak that wasn't there in the morning. She was hiding and had clamped fins when I came down to feed dinner, but now that she's in the 1 gallon qt tank, she doesn't seem as timid. I know clean water will probably do the trick with the tail wound, but does anyone have any idea what the bright red streak on the bottom of her tail is, why it's there, and how to fix it?

The tank is 10 gallons, cycled, with 50% water changes weekly, though recently I've been changing water more frequently. Her tankmates are 3 harlequin rasboras (I know they should be in groups of 5 or more, but I recently lost the others)

Last edited by JKfish; 01-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #2 
baylee767

Maybe she's marbeling...?

Or... no, it wouldn't make sense. I've read that read streaked gills and tail mean ammonia poisoning... but you do too many water changes for that, so I really have no idea /=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 
JKfish

well, I'm hoping and praying that the red spot didn't mean anything... because now it's gone, as in, she bit it off. Great, now she's tail biting, and I just have to figure out why... I'm guessing stress, seeing as she's really timid, but I can't be sure. >.< Tail biters are horrible to deal with IMO/E, so I'm going to hope she'll stop once I figure out what's wrong.

edit... darn it. She's pineconing again and has mild SBD issues showing again . :( I really thought the kanaplex fixed her, apparently not. And the red spot is back again, or I didn't see it before. I wish I knew how to heal her, it's sort of discouraging when it seems no matter what I do to heal her, she isn't getting better.

edit/edit: Upon looking at her much closer and flashing a flashlight on her, apparently her velvet is back, and I'm not sure, but it seems like the red spot might be an extreme cluster of velvet, though atm I don't know. (edit) nope, it's not... I'm open to any ideas as to what it is...

In the mean time, I'm going to once again treat her with the tetra ich guard to kill off the velvet.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-24-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

She sounds septic...meaning the bacterial infection has moved to the blood and this is bad...she also sound like she may be going into system shut down and this is fatal and untreatable..natural treatment may not do much or even antibiotic at this point...but if you have something that covers both gram negative and gram positive I would QT and get them started ASAP and if she seem like she is suffering...you may need to do what is right by her.....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 
JKfish

:( that's not good. She's acting alright, the pineconing has gone down a bit and she's no longer having any trouble swimming. Do you think maracyn 1 and 2 would be good enough to help her? If so, I'll see if I can make it petsmart tomorrow. I can't find the meds for velvet, but I guess the meds for positive and negative gram bacteria are more imporant ATM than the velvet.

Oh, and this might sound wierd, but do you think it's possible all the meds she's been through lately is partially the cause for all this? I mean, I've had her a bit over a month, and in that time period she's been through salt and water, velvet meds, more clean water, and then kanaplex, in and out of the qt tank... IMO all that can't exactly be good for her. I almost feel this this is a hit or miss sort of thing, and no matter what I try, I'm just missing and missing and hurting her more. Is is possible I'm blowing this way out of proportion and the tail biting is stress, the red streak on her tail something or another, and the pineconing and on and off sbd due to not properly pre-soaked food?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm doubting and not listening to you, but there's just some little voice inside of me that just keeps asking if all this is working... *sigh* I know your giving the correct advise, as well as the fact that all this really is necessary (after all, the sorority was proof to how serious this is), and that it's not just little things that can be fixed with clean water, but right now I really, really wish it all could be as easily fixed as just making more water changes.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Its okay to doubt...the fish is in front of you not me......I can only go by what you post.....so it okay to doubt and yes, lot of different medications and treatment can cause the fish to become toxic....you can over medicate....sometimes it is a good idea to stop everything and let the fish system clean out-provide fresh, clean dechlorinated water of the correct temp and give the fish immune response to take control.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 
JKfish

okay. She's still alright so far, no more pineconing or sbd. She bit off another portion of her tail, there's less than half of it left :( , but I don't see any more red. I'm not sure if my decision is correct or not, so please tell me what you think of what I am considering doing...

I think if I see that she's bitten any more of her tail off, or the sbd or pineconing or the red pops up again, I'll go ASAP for maracyn 1 and 2. She'll stay in the qt tank, in a relatively dim room so she'll stay calm with plent of clean water and good food, and I'll be keeping a close eye on her, and hope and pray her body will take care of whatever's got her down....
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #8 
JKfish

:( She's bitten more and the red is back. My mom will buy maracyn 2 for me from petsmart while I'm at school. Maracyn 1 is only available online, so is it possible to treat without it?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can use Maracyn 1 and 2 together, from what I've been told, if you were able to get Maracyn 1. Good luck with Phoebe. I hope she pulls through.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #10 
JKfish

Thanks DramaQueen :) I was able to find some maracyn 1, so I'm treating her with both. She's doing alright, no signs of improvement yet, the red has actually spread since treatment and is visible on her tail and at the base of her tail now, but today is only the third day of treament out of five days, and if it's not better by then the instructions say I can repeat the 5 day treatment once more should need be.