Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Thumbs down Starving horses in Montana

Has anyone heard about this story of the 300-800 starving horses in Montana? We live about 20 miles away from the ranch, anyway I was wondering if anyone had heard about... and I was wondering: why won't the horses be removed from Leachman's land? I know he has until July to buy back his ranch (for $2.6 million) because it was foreclosed, which I think is doubtful that he could find that money while he hasn't been feeding his horses... Anyway I'm sure there are tons of people who would take in/adopt these horses and give them great homes. What do you guys think?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's terrible! I hope something can be done to help those poor horses.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

Poor little sweethearts! I hope someone helps them soon.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #4 
Tsuhei

Wth? I just read the article - only five counts of animal cruelty for that many horses?! Only 1 year maximum for each count with $1000 per count?! That is NOT enough. This person should get prison time, not jail time. If he knew he couldn't take care of them, he should have notified someone sooner..he should know what's right and wrong. It's just sickening.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-26-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

NOoo!!! Poor Horses :'(
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #6 
SmokeNLark

That's so sad! I'll have to look that up. We had something like that happen where I live but there were only about 20-30 horses. Most of them weren't even his though. They were other people's who boarded them at his barn.

I'm sure the reason they aren't removed are because there is not enough room for them elsewhere. There are plenty of people who WANT to rescue a horse, but FAR less who can. A horse is extremely expensive to keep. Mine cost me about $200 each per month. That's not including the vet bills, farrier bills, special feed, and medication these horses no doubt need. A horse is not something someone can just take in to help. Also, with a commitment and price tag that large, people are much less inclined to take one in that is of poor health. Also, most people with horses keep them at a boarding barn and not at home. That makes it harder to take another one in.

This will have to be a major rescue operation. :(

edited to say- Yeah, 5 years in jail and a $5000 fine is NOWHERE near enough. I don't think I could even put a number on what I feel is right.

Last edited by SmokeNLark; 01-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 
SmokeNLark

I just read the article. Makes me want to cry :( They said it'll cost $1600-$1800 a day just to feed all of them. I can't believe anyone would do this to their animals. They can't feed themselves and you are their sole provider. I would rather miss a few meals than make my animals miss any.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Wth? I just read the article - only five counts of animal cruelty for that many horses?! Only 1 year maximum for each count with $1000 per count?! That is NOT enough. This person should get prison time, not jail time. If he knew he couldn't take care of them, he should have notified someone sooner..he should know what's right and wrong. It's just sickening.
I completely agree, I have been infuriated since the whole thing began!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #9 
Barrix

I'm aware of that story since I own a horse. It's terrible that a horse should be starved because some humans don't know how to take care of them. I would adopt one of the horses, but I already have a horse and I can't care for several horses since our stables are full. All I can do is send my love to the horses in need of a proper home in hopes that they'll find one suitable for them. The man being charged will probably not buy his land back because he can't afford the price. It's a shame that he even bought horses knowing about how he was going to care for them.
Barrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

Is there maybe a charity fund to feed these horses? If it costs that much to feed them each day, there has to be a place to donate. I'd help in a heartbeat.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote