Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #1 
IrishRose2124

Exclamation Clamped fins

Last night I did a routine water change for all my fish. Earlier woke up to use the bathroom and noticed that my little Poma isn't acting right. She's sitting at the bottom of the tank with her fins clamped! How in the world do I get her to unclamp her fins? I checked the water, the heat is normal and the test strips are normal. Help!!
IrishRose2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #2 
FishFood

Betta's will clamp thier fins when they are under stress, it is much like the fetal position for us. Some of the things that can cause clamping are: Untreated or poor water conditions, external parasites, stress form being played with or moved.
Does Poma have any tank mates in with her? Is she eating ok? How large is the container she is in? Do you treat her water before adding it? Clamping can be a symptom of a larger problem, so it might be helpful to post a image of her if you can.
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #3 
IrishRose2124

She's in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, and no tank mates. She's doing much better now but her pectoral fins are still a little clamped. She's been eating just fine. Yes I add the conditioner before I put all the fish back in their tanks after water changes. I don't know how visible her pectoral fins are since they are really translucent and the images are pretty blurry she wouldn't hold still for me
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
FishFood

She is so pretty! If she is eating normal and is active it might just a one time thing that will go away soon. It might also just be the way she sleeps :)
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #5 
IrishRose2124

No she was defiantly acting odd last night. She would curl up under the rock decoration that's in her tank with her fins pretty much glued to her body. She would only move to get air, I was so worried she wouldn't make it :( She usually rests in her plants not at the bottom of her tank. I was really hoping she wasn't going into shock. She seems to be doing just fine, though I'll keep an eye on her today to see if anything happens.

And thank you! She's got red lip so it looks like she's wearing lip stick. Oh I love your avatar, sooo pretty!! :)
Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #6 
FishFood

Thankies! Her name is Ann and she is top fish of my 10 gallon at the moment since Stella is under the weather (you wouldn't happen to know how to treat bite marks would you?).

If she is still acting funny later on today you might want to look vary closely at her, external parasites can cause clamping and can be treated. If you don't see anything, she may have just gotten spooked by something and is still trying to calm down.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #7 
IrishRose2124

Are these bite marks on her tail or on her body? I've had issues with tail biters and I usually just keep the water clean, lower the water temp a little and a a little bit of aquarium salt till the bite heal.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #8 
FishFood

They are defiantly on her body, images on the thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=60638
I have separated her into a quart container so that her sisters wont bother her (ironicly she layed eggs right after I separated her). I don't have any aquarium or epsom salt at the moment, but I might be able to get some today. I also don't have a heater but for some reason the fish don't seem to mind.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #9 
FishFood

Someone started this thread, which I think is really useful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=60682
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #10 
IrishRose2124

well I'm pretty sure those are bite marks. if she's active and not showing signs of a more serious illness then I think keeping the water clean should be enough and she should heal up on her own. I do recommend some aquarium salt until she's all healed up.