Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #1 
Wildcat

Question A little better, but still concerned...

I got my Betta last Monday brought him home immedately and moved him from the 1/2 cup to a small 1 Gal. Glass Tank/container. He seemed to be fine in the beginning and was eating and acting normally. After a couple of days, he started to act a bit lethargic. I tried using a lamp to bring the temp up, but wasn't working, so I purchased a 3.5 Gal tank. I washed everything in plain water and followed directions exactly. His tank sat right beside the new tank for 24 hrs. and then I placed him in it. Both temps were the same (around 74 degrees)
He was still swimming around, but still acting lethargic and stopped eating.
On Thurs I did a 35% water change and added aquarium salt. he perked up a little, but within a couple hrs was laying on the bottom a lot and still not eating. The heater I had gotten did not have a thermostat so I could not get the water temp warm enough. (It never exceeded 74 degrees.) So, this morning I got a heater with thermostat, I placed it in the tank and slowly brought the temp up to 79 degrees and now it is 80 degrees. I also put some Betta Fix in his water when I put the heater in. He is starting to perk up a bit, but still not eating.

Should I do another 35% water change at this point? I have the (Tap)water mixed with water conditioner and Aquarium salt, about a gallon.

Should I use Distilled or Spring water instead of Tap Water?
I have answered all questions below to the best of my ability.
I feel he is a bit better this eve, but still on the bottom a lot and still not eating.

Any help or suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What temperature is your tank? 79-80 Degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Bottom filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes Air Stone, I have running at a low pace.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
2-3 Times a day when he was eating, right now, I try several times a day, but then remove the pellets as he is not eating them.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I have done 1 35% water change since setting it up on Monday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 35%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Bettasafe Water Conditioner - Complete Formula

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes If so, what are the following parameters?
Used a 6 in one test strip - All are PERFECT right now.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are a bit curled
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acts Lethargic, lays on bottom a lot.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 Days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 35 % Water Change, Aquarium Salt, and Tetra BettaFix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just purchased on Monday
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

Stop using Bettafix. It has Melaleuca in it...it can put strain on your fish's labyrinth and make him suffocate.

Why are you using aquarium salt? Adding salt to the tank while he is lethargic is not a way to cure him - it puts stress on his organs. Only use aquarium salt for treating things like fin rot or parasites. I suggest a 100% water change - be sure to acclimate him before dumping him into the tank.

80F is perfect.

How many betta pellets are you feeding him at a time?

Fin curling means you have hard water - nothing serious that affects the health of your fish.

Does your water conditioner take out heavy metals?

You have only had him for three days - bettas act a little differently sometimes when you bring them home from the store...they're usually a little stressed out. It's normal for him to be a little inactive...

You have a filter? Is it carbon? If it is, did you fully cycle the tank before you added him?

Use tap water, though. It has nutrients in it that distilled and spring water do not have..

Does he have any other symptoms? Does he have any physical symptoms?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 
Wildcat

I am happy to say Wildcat is a bit better today. I have been doing 50% water changes every day with water conditioner and testing the water each time. It is perfect and temp is 79-80 degrees. Today he is starting to swim around and acting more normally. He is still not eating well, but hopefully he is feeling better, so will begin that as well. I got him some bloodworms today and put 2 small pieces in there. Maybe he will eat them by morning, if not I will remove. I am planning to do a complete water change tomorrow. I hope this will be a good thing at this point??? I am concerned because I feel possibly, I am just now getting the water like it should be cycled. Wouldn't changing the whole tank be like starting all over again? Won't that stress him again? What I have been doing seems to be working...so...am thinking...if it's not broke, don't fix it, right? Another question, when changing 100% should I scoop him out in a cup and place him in same tank water in stead of using a net? Just don't want to do anything to send him backwards, you know? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

DO NOT use a net. I have learned from reading about bettas to get the best possible care. Scoop, do not net. Their fins are delicate and the net can tear them.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I am happy to say Wildcat is a bit better today. I have been doing 50% water changes every day with water conditioner and testing the water each time. It is perfect and temp is 79-80 degrees. Today he is starting to swim around and acting more normally. He is still not eating well, but hopefully he is feeling better, so will begin that as well. I got him some bloodworms today and put 2 small pieces in there. Maybe he will eat them by morning, if not I will remove. I am planning to do a complete water change tomorrow. I hope this will be a good thing at this point??? I am concerned because I feel possibly, I am just now getting the water like it should be cycled. Wouldn't changing the whole tank be like starting all over again? Won't that stress him again? What I have been doing seems to be working...so...am thinking...if it's not broke, don't fix it, right? Another question, when changing 100% should I scoop him out in a cup and place him in same tank water in stead of using a net? Just don't want to do anything to send him backwards, you know? Thanks for your suggestions.
Agreed with bamsuddenimpact - fins are easily torn with nets, and the "chase" involved to catch your fish can be extremely stressful. Try to get him with one quick scoop into the container you want to put him in (a cup).

If you have him in a cycled tank, do not do a 100% water change. Only do a 50%. I actually suggest using another container to keep him in for quarantine if he's acting sick.

Now, did you actually cycle your tank? Letting the filter run for a day doesn't actually cycle your tank, like many pet store employees try to tell you. There are many ways to cycle a tank, and many cycling questions have already been answered on other threads in this forum.

Just try to do a few 50% water changes this week to get the bettafix out of the water - keep him in a quarantine container with clean, dechlorinated tap water at 79F - 80F (you can attach the quarantine container to the inside of your current tank with some duct tape and allow the container to float in the tank water so it stays the same temperature...just don't use the same water).

I will ask this one more time: does he have any symptoms that show that he is actually sick, such as white spots (ich), fuzzy patches (fungus), stress stripes (can be caused by numerous things), fin clamping (shows betta does not feel well)? Because if he is just laying on the bottom a lot, as broad of a description that really is, it just tells me that you did not properly cycle your tank since all I could really gather is that you have a filtered tank that's already heated to the appropriate temperature and you're treating him for things you don't even know he may or may not have. Stop treating him and examine him closer, please.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #6 
Wildcat

Much Better, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Agreed with bamsuddenimpact - fins are easily torn with nets, and the "chase" involved to catch your fish can be extremely stressful. Try to get him with one quick scoop into the container you want to put him in (a cup).

If you have him in a cycled tank, do not do a 100% water change. Only do a 50%. I actually suggest using another container to keep him in for quarantine if he's acting sick.

Now, did you actually cycle your tank? Letting the filter run for a day doesn't actually cycle your tank, like many pet store employees try to tell you. There are many ways to cycle a tank, and many cycling questions have already been answered on other threads in this forum.

Just try to do a few 50% water changes this week to get the bettafix out of the water - keep him in a quarantine container with clean, dechlorinated tap water at 79F - 80F (you can attach the quarantine container to the inside of your current tank with some duct tape and allow the container to float in the tank water so it stays the same temperature...just don't use the same water).

I will ask this one more time: does he have any symptoms that show that he is actually sick, such as white spots (ich), fuzzy patches (fungus), stress stripes (can be caused by numerous things), fin clamping (shows betta does not feel well)? Because if he is just laying on the bottom a lot, as broad of a description that really is, it just tells me that you did not properly cycle your tank since all I could really gather is that you have a filtered tank that's already heated to the appropriate temperature and you're treating him for things you don't even know he may or may not have. Stop treating him and examine him closer, please.
He is much better today and acting more normally, I am happy to say. And he is eating dried Bloodworms and Betta Pellets. He has been swimming around, checking things out in his home and found the cave Today he has been hanging around the heater a lot and up near the top.

No, unfortunately...I was not aware of cycling until I already had him in there...I feel really badly about that. Did my homewrok a bit late for that.
I did another 50% water change today, and had only put the BettaFix in one time. And No....I really don't think he is sick....I thought he was because of laying on the bottom of the tank SO MUCH and not eating. I am guessing it was the stress of putting him in the Non-Cycled tank?
OK, So that's where I am...Should I do a complete 100% water change at this point and start a cycle? I did see the posts about cycling so can go there for instructions.
Oh, and this tank came with a plastic plate on the bottom with the hose and stone for filtering. (I have restricted the air flow so it is a very low flow of air.) I have been thinking this is not really what he needs, but because the tank is round, I am not really sure what type of filter system to get....it is a 3.5 gallon tank. Any suggestions on a filter system for this size tank with one Betta?
Thanks so much for your help. Much Appreciated.
Wildcat's Mom
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #7 
Wildcat

[quote=Tsuhei;567229]Stop using Bettafix. It has Melaleuca in it...it can put strain on your fish's labyrinth and make him suffocate.

Why are you using aquarium salt?
Someone said use aquarium salt....lots of info...I stopped that too after one time. Thanks!

Adding salt to the tank while he is lethargic is not a way to cure him - it puts stress on his organs. Only use aquarium salt for treating things like fin rot or parasites. I suggest a 100% water change - be sure to acclimate him before dumping him into the tank.

80F is perfect.

How many betta pellets are you feeding him at a time? I am feeding him only 2-3, if he eats them. If not I remove them before they sink.

Fin curling means you have hard water - nothing serious that affects the health of your fish.

Does your water conditioner take out heavy metals? I am using Tetra Betta Safe, and yes, it is supposed to help with heavy metals.

You have only had him for three days - bettas act a little differently sometimes when you bring them home from the store...they're usually a little stressed out. It's normal for him to be a little inactive... I see...I have had him 7 days today.

You have a filter? Is it carbon? If it is, did you fully cycle the tank before you added him? No, it is not carbon, and no I did not cycle. Answered this above.

Use tap water, though. It has nutrients in it that distilled and spring water do not have..Yes, i am using tap water.

Does he have any other symptoms? Does he have any physical symptoms?Not now, but was......laying on the bottom ALL the time, rarely soming up for air....would not eat....and his fins were kind of sticking together and curling.
[/quote]
Appreciate your help!

Last edited by Wildcat; 01-24-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #8 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
He is much better today and acting more normally, I am happy to say. And he is eating dried Bloodworms and Betta Pellets. He has been swimming around, checking things out in his home and found the cave Today he has been hanging around the heater a lot and up near the top.

No, unfortunately...I was not aware of cycling until I already had him in there...I feel really badly about that. Did my homewrok a bit late for that.
I did another 50% water change today, and had only put the BettaFix in one time. And No....I really don't think he is sick....I thought he was because of laying on the bottom of the tank SO MUCH and not eating. I am guessing it was the stress of putting him in the Non-Cycled tank?
OK, So that's where I am...Should I do a complete 100% water change at this point and start a cycle? I did see the posts about cycling so can go there for instructions.
Oh, and this tank came with a plastic plate on the bottom with the hose and stone for filtering. (I have restricted the air flow so it is a very low flow of air.) I have been thinking this is not really what he needs, but because the tank is round, I am not really sure what type of filter system to get....it is a 3.5 gallon tank. Any suggestions on a filter system for this size tank with one Betta?
Thanks so much for your help. Much Appreciated.
Wildcat's Mom
Glad to hear he is feeling better! Never use medication or aquarium salt / epsom salt without knowing for sure whether your fish does or does not have an illness associated with that treatment. Treating your fish without said symptoms can do more harm than good, such as create resistance problems (as in the bacteria in your tank becomes stronger against that medication, sometimes even immune). When you do start treatment and your betta is in fact sick, do not stop a treatment short as it can cause the same issues.

With that small of a tank, and with my experience with my bettas, I'd recommend a sponge filter (doesn't cause too much of a current)- they don't have carbon in them, and all they do is capture debris - I prefer them so I can change as much water as I'd like each water change without upsetting the balance (I prefer 60% up to 90% with a sponge filter). It is very, very difficult to keep a tank cycled under 5 gallons, in my honest opinion - carbon may not be the way to go.

If you still choose to do carbon, I suggest roaming around the forum and reading about the cycling process - I don't use carbon very much so I'm not much help in that department.

Just be sure to check how big the filter is and how many gallons it can filter (usually on the box or description if you're shopping online). If it's for something 10+ gallons for your tank, then I would not buy it...the current would be far too strong for your betta, even baffled, honestly. With sponge filters, you don't have to worry about it TOO much, but still pay attention to the size.

Last edited by Tsuhei; 01-24-2011 at 09:17 PM.