Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Its the end of the world! Whould you eat your pet if all other food is gone?
YaY 4 26.67%
NaY 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #11 
ChicagoPete
Member
 
ChicagoPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Chicago Suburbs.
Hmm mabe I should look into puttin in a thread pole to see how many ppl whould choose if they had to in a crisis whould they eat their pets.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #12 
Jayy
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palm bay, FL
I wouldn't eat my own pet, but maybe a stray. If it was the end the world and there was nothing,but that.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #13 
tsoto80
Member
 
tsoto80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
I dont like seeing animals get hurt in movies either, BUT I know its fake and against the law to hurt them in real life so I keep that in mind. I still end up saying poor kitty, dog, horse, ect.. Usually in the closing credits it will say "no animals were harm in the making of this movie" I do wonder about some forign films cause those animals do seem real when they get murdered
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #14 
shinybetta
Member
 
shinybetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Still, I read a story of a kid who killed a cat because he someone kill a cat on tv. This makes young kids/dumb people think it is okay.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #15 
AngelicScars
Member
 
AngelicScars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Still, I read a story of a kid who killed a cat because he someone kill a cat on tv. This makes young kids/dumb people think it is okay.
It's not the movie's fault that a kid did that (and I HATE when people blame movies, video games, music for things people do).
It's the parents' fault for not teaching their kid rights and wrong. On top of that, people just don't go around killing animals like that, there is something wrong with that child too. I don't like censorship.

With that being said, it would be a tough call about eating my own pet if it came down to it. I can't SAY what I would do if I were put in that situation.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333
Member
 
wallywestisthebest333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Currently East Coast
If it was a pet I'd feel bad. If it was some random cat I'd STILL feel bad but I'd eat it if there was FOR SURE no other food around. A lot of people forget that we used to forage for our food and can still do it again ANYTIME we want to. :/ Like even now. I could go outside and if I was educated in plants I could go pick something up and eat it. Then again I guess it depends on the post-apocalyptic situation and the person. if it was a nuclear winter there probably wouldn't be any foraging. XD And since most people (including myself but I plan on remedying this) don't remember which native plants are beneficial and nutritious or at the very least edible then hunting is of course the best option.

Hunting is also the easiest option because you get more calories for your shot so to speak. I could eat a couple squirrels or rabbits and be good for the day or I could spend the whole day foraging for vegetation and come up short calorie wise and feel hungry.

If it was post apocalypse I'd probably go back to being an omnivore. ;]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 01-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #17 
wallywestisthebest333
Member
 
wallywestisthebest333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Currently East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
It's not the movie's fault that a kid did that (and I HATE when people blame movies, video games, music for things people do).
It's the parents' fault for not teaching their kid rights and wrong. On top of that, people just don't go around killing animals like that, there is something wrong with that child too. I don't like censorship.

With that being said, it would be a tough call about eating my own pet if it came down to it. I can't SAY what I would do if I were put in that situation.
I respect your opinion and I agree with it completely! Incomplete/not as thorough parenting is to blame.

Buuuuuuuut. Yeah people do just go around killing animals. I assume the kid was doing it for fun. (though I could be wrong I'll have to go back and look at the original post) This is also often called "sport" which is what hunting is. LOTS of people hunt and they do it for "fun"/"sport" as opposed to doing ti forfood aka sustainance/necessity.

I of course think that's terrible (vegetarian. LOL) but all people are different and there are violent people that do just enjoy running around killing things whether it be bugs, animals, or humans. It's sad but it's true. ;]

Now I have to point out that in my last paragraph that I did include humans. Yes humans instinctually don't like killing humans. You can argue with me about this but it's basic animal instinct. No animal likes to kill animals of its own species. They do it because they usually have to. Though when we get to humans as we have symbolism and an extremely complicated and adaptable thought process the "have to" all depends on their state of mind. Humans can be convinced or conditioned to think that they have to kill something or someone (notice I'm not saying ALL can be. just in general). But we still (for the most part. if you're completely mentally average) at a basic level don't like doing it. There's an immense amount of indescribable pain and loathing that comes into play when a human kills another human.

If a person's brain is wired differently and that base instinct of hating killing other humans for whatever reason doesn't come into play however and a person gets the same rush that some do when they kill other animals then that person does just enjoy killing humans.

I'm sorry this is such a dark post. I just never got an oppertunity to use this knowledge! XD

(If you're wondering no I haven't killed anything (except directly bugs and plants and indirectly cattle, chickens, pigs, and the various seafood my parents have somehow convinced me to try over my lifetime. i learned this in a combination of my anthropology class and history class. :P)

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 01-25-2011 at 11:52 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #18 
ChicagoPete
Member
 
ChicagoPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Chicago Suburbs.
Well spoken Wallywest. ^.^
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #19 
AngelicScars
Member
 
AngelicScars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I respect your opinion and I agree with it completely! Incomplete/not as thorough parenting is to blame.

Buuuuuuuut. Yeah people do just go around killing animals. I assume the kid was doing it for fun. (though I could be wrong I'll have to go back and look at the original post) This is also often called "sport" which is what hunting is. LOTS of people hunt and they do it for "fun"/"sport" as opposed to doing ti forfood aka sustainance/necessity.

I of course think that's terrible (vegetarian. LOL) but all people are different and there are violent people that do just enjoy running around killing things whether it be bugs, animals, or humans. It's sad but it's true. ;]

Now I have to point out that in my last paragraph that I did include humans. Yes humans instinctually don't like killing humans. You can argue with me about this but it's basic animal instinct. No animal likes to kill animals of its own species. They do it because they usually have to. Though when we get to humans as we have symbolism and an extremely complicated and adaptable thought process the "have to" all depends on their state of mind. Humans can be convinced or conditioned to think that they have to kill something or someone (notice I'm not saying ALL can be. just in general). But we still (for the most part. if you're completely mentally average) at a basic level don't like doing it. There's an immense amount of indescribable pain and loathing that comes into play when a human kills another human.

If a person's brain is wired differently and that base instinct of hating killing other humans for whatever reason doesn't come into play however and a person gets the same rush that some do when they kill other animals then that person does just enjoy killing humans.

I'm sorry this is such a dark post. I just never got an oppertunity to use this knowledge! XD

(If you're wondering no I haven't killed anything (except directly bugs and plants and indirectly cattle, chickens, pigs, and the various seafood my parents have somehow convinced me to try over my lifetime. i learned this in a combination of my anthropology class and history class. :P)
Killing game is one thing, killing a cat because "he saw it in a movie" is completely different.

I'm going to point out that what you said, people's brains are wired differently. Very true and that is why some people do not have the mental capability to stop themselves from doing the horrible things that people do. That however is THEIR brain, NOT anything that influenced them to do so. Because someone cannot distinguish the differences between reality and what they see in movies/video games, isn't the movie or video games fault.
You helped me prove my point further, thanks.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #20 
tsoto80
Member
 
tsoto80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
I had this very discussion in class last week. The topic was if violent video games and movies makes a person to be violent. People that start out torturing/killing animals for AMUSEMENT usually haves a chemical imbalance in their brain and these people are where the serial killers come from. Ted Bundy, David Berkowitz and Jeffrey Dahmer are all examples of this. I dont believe violent video games and movies will make a person go out and kill someone and the kid that killed a cat cause he saw it on TV had to have some sort of trauma in his life to do that. We are all born with a conscience- a difference of knowing right from wrong. Sometimes it dosen't matter what a parent says if violence is like second nature to a child.


A little off subject but I did see a program on mystery health and this one guy had a brain tumor where his conscience is at in his brain, so he was not able to distinguish the difference between right and wrong.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avatar (not the movie) decamptownlady The Lounge 2 07-11-2010 11:16 PM
Kilo also gets a movie! vaygirl Betta Pictures 12 05-18-2010 06:35 PM
Whiskey's big movie vaygirl Betta Pictures 13 04-14-2010 06:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.