Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

On behalf of a Friend...

Thankfully, there's nothing wrong with Robert (other than his psychotic personality). But one of my friends has a fish that is not doing well. I've told her to upgrade his tank already, she says she has no space. He's in a one and a half gallon tank at the moment. I'm not sure how often the water is changed. Anyway, here's a photo of him. She says he's completely changed color since she got him.

What does that look like? Any suggestions on what I should advise her to do for him?

Thanks!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #2 
c4talys7

Is there anyway to get a more clear picture of the fish?

You could look up different Betta illnesses and diseases (I can't tell much from the picture save that he is really pale looking). Is he a crowntail?

Anyways, you should pry tell her to start off with more frequent water changes. I have my two boys in 1.5gal bins while I'm preparing a bigger tank and I change the water daily. It is especially important if your fish has fin rot or any other illness. So she should probably start there.

Do you happen to know if she treats the water and when the temp of it is?

Also, I'm not as experienced as most people on here so you might want to get the second opinion of an older member. Which a lot of people respond to the emergency and illness thread so you should get one soon.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

No, I only have the photos they give me... I can ask for a clearer one.

I will pass that info along to her, thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

She feeds him omega one betta buffet flakes, changes the water every three days, does have a heater, does use de-chlorinator.

Here's a sharpened photo - I'm afraid this is as good as it gets, she's at college and her sister's taking care of it:
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Try having her switch to pellets. They are easier to get out of the water if the fish doesn't eat them all. I feed my Bettas 2 pellets twice a day. The only thing I can think of right now is that the fish isn't eating all of the food. And it starts rotting when it falls to the bottom. Since I can't really tell from the picture you could have her look for finrot on him or any type of illness then go from there.

What does he do to make you think he's not doing well?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Looks like his fins are clamped... the color change could be stress or marbling.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

It's difficult. I wish I could have gotten over to take a look at him. It doesn't help that I don't know what he looked like before this happened. Additionally, I can't be sure she knows what finrot is.

From the picture, what would you say is most likely wrong, and what should I tell her to do other than switching his food?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #8 
bettafish15

I'd tell her to do 100% daily water changes, make sure hes nice and warm. I couldnt see if there was a heater in his tank... If there isnt, she should get one for small tanks :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

There is! I made sure of it...

Alright, I'll tell them to do the daily changes and see if that helps him any. I really think he has some kind of fungus or rot, though... poor thing.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Does he also look a little skinny...? Or is that just me? D:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote