Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #1 
myfishjayne

Exclamation Missing a bit of fin...(Help!)

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal.
What temperature is your tank? Currently 75~
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes!
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 snail and two ghost shrimp.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Betta flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? About twice a month.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water 50/70% change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta bowl buddy's and Tera brand EasyBalance.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: None.
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 7.0
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A largeish bit of his fin (Anal fin I think) got torn off.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes. It's been just a few minutes but he's sitting at the bottom of his tank, almost gasping it seems.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just when his fin got torn off....
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I am not.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)?I don't know, I got him 18/9/2010 ((dd/m/yy))

I feel so bad for letting this happen!
I've got to go now, but I should be back in about an hour or two.
Also, I just gave him a salt bath, I was putting him back into his tank when the container I was using some how cracked and TORE OFF of some of his fin. I should have been more careful! Please help!

Please help! I don't want him to die!!!
myfishjayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta is not well.....to understand...he got his fin torn off and is now gasping to breath....why were you doing the salt bath or did I miss understand?

Right now-I would QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter)
Pre-mix a 1gal jug of treatment water-fill a 1gal jug with dechlorinated water-Add 1tsp aquarium salt and tannins to steep for at least 1 hour-shake well before use and use this pre-mixed treatment water to make 100% daily water changes on the Betta in the QT container for the next 10 days

Tannin-can be naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves, Indian almond leaf, blackwater extract, decaf green tea-the longer they steep the more tannins will be released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it-use only one of these tannin sources to add to the pre-mixed treatment water

It is important that the treatment water be within a couple of degrees in temp between the QT Betta and water floating in the heated tank-you can use a second small QT container and fill with the treatment water an hour or so before you plan to make the daily 100% water change so the water will equalize in temp-be sure and use a thermometer and check the temp and then net the fish and transfer to the second like temp treatment water QT container-remove the first one and rinse to be ready for the next day 100% water change.

Your main tank needs more water changes and a slight increase in water temp to at least 76F

In 5g with filter-water changes need to be at least 50% weekly with substrate vacuuming to maintain water quality-provided that you are not overfeeding and not leaving any food long term for the shrimp and snails
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 
myfishjayne

Update: He's back to his old self it seems! Huzzah he shall live another day(Or a few more years even)! But, should I give him a daily salt bath so it heals right or is that not necessary?

Thanks, Oldfishlady for the advise, and, heh, so the story goes:
We had a power outage during the night. When I looked into Jayne's tank, I saw that he was slightly lethargic and it tank temp was only 65~(F).
OMG! I thought. So, I did a water change to get the water temp back up. I was just about to put him back into his tank when I thought to do a salt bath, mostly because I saw what looked like a little pin hole in his fin, I didn't know thought, I figured I'd better do one any way, 'cause (if you don't stress them in the proses) it's good for them, or so I've read.
I was just about to put him back into his tank after the salt bath when the cup I was using suddenly got a large crack down it, and Jayne's tail (before I even saw the crack) was caught in it, he started to thrash about, and that's when I was the crack, I managed to get his tail out with ease, but not before part of it got cut off.
I'm just happy he's not lethargic any more. He seems like his old self, though I'll keep an eye on him. And be MUCH more careful from now on.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Stuff happens to all of us.....and boy do I understand about power outage and cold water temp.....laffs.....anyway...

Good that he is back to his old self-I think I would just do a clean water treatment in his tank for now and if his rip fins start to look infected then start a salt treatment...

Since you had a power outage and if the filter was off longer than 5-6 hours-if you haven't already before you turn the filter back on I would dump the water in it and give it a good rinse and rinse the filter media in clean dechlorinated water....give the tank a good vacuum and 50% water change and make 50% water only changes for 3-4 days and then another good vacuum on day 6-7-you may need to add an extra water only change between your regular weekly water changes for a few weeks to be safe-since you will most likely go into a mini cycle or if you have water test products-test your water daily for a week or so to make sure the nitrogen cycle has reestablished...this time line will vary based on how mature the tank was to start....regardless some extra water only changes are needed to help prevent a secondary infection and if he was a healthy fish to start he should heal up in a week or two

Nutrition is also important for the healing process-a good varied diet of high protein meaty foods...small frequent meals are best...

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 
myfishjayne

Alright, thank you so much. Heh, I was really worried for him when he was at the bottom of the tank. I'll keep you all posted. Oh, I ought to post a few pre-accident pics I got of him! I'll go make a new thread in Betta Art or some where. :)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Great...we love pics around here...lol...