Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #1 
Fastcash124

A few questions

My betta has had patches at the end of his gills for a while now but his water doesn't look rusty and it looks like unhealed ulcers. I'm wondering if he got them from scraping the rocks but if that was the case they probably should've gone away. He also has small white patches above each eye. So that leads me to go buy a chem but it doesn't have any instructions other than how much I should use but not how long. Does Tetra Fungus guard work well? So far I broke a little chip off the ten gallon dosage because I have a 2.5 (I'll post the questionnaire next). The first pic isn't a good one but i'll look for better ones. If you look you can see the white along the outside of his gill. When he gets stressed it is really visible. He recently started being more colorful and energetic but I attain that to the new filter distributing the heat better. He still doesn't flare up or anything, though.
Attached Images

Fastcash124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #2 
Fastcash124

What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? ~75
Does your tank have a filter? Recently, but yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Two plants
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Not that I know of.. thats why i'm posting.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? I lowered his diet to ~4 pellets a day per advice on these threads.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I usually do 100% once a week but since I got the filter and new tank one week ago I medicated him with fungus guard I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to leave the medicine in there so I did 50% change three days ago.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% so I can clean the gravel too
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Betta safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested my water

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He was dull for a long time but I think the filter circulating the heat has improved his color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was really sluggish but since the heat has gone up he's gotten better
When did you start noticing the symptoms? probably 5 months
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put in some fungus guard about a week ago then did a 50% water change after 3 or 4 days because I wasn't sure how long it was supposed to stay in there.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? Well i've read on here they're often bought years old but I've had him about a year and a half.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 
Fastcash124

Bueller? ...Bueller? ....Bueller? btw I added some anacharis today and bought some test strips which I think were junk but from what I can sort of read my GH is either 120 or between that and 180 my Kh may be 120, ph 7-7.5 0 nitrate and nitrite
Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #4 
HeroicPoison

A few questions:
when did you notice the white patches? Do they look fuzzy or slimy?
Are they bumps? if not does the colouring run vertically?
i dont see a problem with the white above his eyes, unless you see it being fuzzy i wouldnt worry about that.
He appears to have clamped fins... this may be caused from stress... also if the white by his gills appears to be colouring and runs vertically this may be indications of stress as well. The new filter may be stressing him out, it takes them a bit to get used to. I would also raise his tank temp to 78-79F, 75 is a bit too chilly for the little guys.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #5 
Fastcash124

Yea I checked out my tank later that day and today and it's been at 80 degrees roughly. Sometimes 78-79. Now i'm worrying about that killing the sword and anacharis but I don't really care about the plants dying. His fins have been clamped for a while. I've been seeing epsom salt as a cure all on here I may try that (1 tsp per gallon). How long do i dose for?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 
HeroicPoison

You can try but to treat him I'd put him in a hospital tank... Observe him for a day and see if he improves if not treat him 1 tsp non scented no additives Epsom salt per gallon daily water changes for three days
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Those temps won't kill your plants no worries. I've had my planted tanks up to 85F before and they were all fine :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #8 
Fastcash124

Ok, just now I checked his temp and it is 84 so I unplugged his heater for the night. What exactly does Epsom treat? I'd like to see him look as good as he did when I got him and I'm willing to go to great lengths to achieve that.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #9 
HeroicPoison

84 is an ok temp, bettas can live in temps up to 86
idk if he really needs treatment,if the white coloration looks fuzzy or slimy thats not good. but it doesnt. could you post a close up clear pic of it?

Tags
gills, head, patches, sick, white