Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Baffleing a biowheel?

Unfortunaltey today, as I tried to put my hommade divider in, the (WELL) sealed binder thing fell off...again. I give up >:( Im just gonna fork over the ten bucks and modify a topfin 10gal divider. (Mines a 5, anyone have adivce on that?)

So I just put Macceroni in, since hes tailbiting, I figured lots of space would ease any boredom. It really has, Ive never seen his so healthy!

Buuttt...As I tested my biowheel filter, the current from the drop off is SUPER strong. Ive read the baffle sticky, but have heard of curious boys getting stuck in it and Im scared to do it that way.

What about if I took some sponge and fandangled it under the little waterfall? Would that work? And if I did, could I just use a normal sponge from a store, cleaned and unscented?

I wanna start cycling soon, so any feedback would be awesome :c

(Current params: Ammonia-0, Nitrate/rite: 0, ph 7.3-.6, cant tell)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Unfortunaltey today, as I tried to put my hommade divider in, the (WELL) sealed binder thing fell off...again. I give up >:( Im just gonna fork over the ten bucks and modify a topfin 10gal divider. (Mines a 5, anyone have adivce on that?)

So I just put Macceroni in, since hes tailbiting, I figured lots of space would ease any boredom. It really has, Ive never seen his so healthy!

Buuttt...As I tested my biowheel filter, the current from the drop off is SUPER strong. Ive read the baffle sticky, but have heard of curious boys getting stuck in it and Im scared to do it that way.

What about if I took some sponge and fandangled it under the little waterfall? Would that work? And if I did, could I just use a normal sponge from a store, cleaned and unscented?

I wanna start cycling soon, so any feedback would be awesome :c

(Current params: Ammonia-0, Nitrate/rite: 0, ph 7.3-.6, cant tell)
all i know is you need an aquarium sponge but i dont know if that's the best way.
i have the same filter and need the answer to this, too!! (no plastic bottle baffle the sharp edges scare me out of doing it )
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #3 
kfish

I don't have the same filter, but I rubber banded aquarium sponge into mine. I wouldn't use kitchen sponge since they put stuff in those to keep them from drying out on the rack.

I just got like a $4 package of Fluval sponge filter media.

Here's what my baffle looks like:

I know, I know ewwww bacteria :P

Doesn't move the water at all now. :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #4 
peachesxo

do you think it would be ok to cut one of those sponges so it with thinner? (not shorter)

i know they have them at my LFS
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 
kfish

I'm sure you could! You might even be able to find thinner ones. I cut a slit in a piece of this foam pretty easily to put it over the filter intake (stuck a paring knife into it). You could probably do something similar to cut it fully in half.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

I dont know if I can get my hands on aquarium sponge :ccc
Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #7 
kfish

:( :(! No trips to Petsmart for you? Can you order online or anything? Maybe you can find something at the normal store that's a very ordinary sponge with nothing added to it. A bath or baby sponge, perhaps? Hmmm...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Maybe D: And no, there isnt one unless I take a bus ride thats at least 2+ hours, then a taxi of all things to go there x.x
And Idk about the sponge thing, maybe D:
I wound up buying a cheap bar soap container at Walmart for a buck, breaking it in half, taking the top and rubber banding it to the waterfall (stupid bio wheel is in an awkward spot >:c) so the water ran down into it much more gently. I filled it with fake plants and the stff I was gonna use as a divider so he cant get in there, either :B It helps with the flow and seems to work well..

Only trouble is he wont stop playing in the current, the dummy x__x