Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #1 
goldyboy

Lark The Survivor (Detailed Story)

This is Lark. Lark almost died yesterday.

My Dad was helping me hang up some new pictures on the walls, two going above the tall boy dresser my girl bettas are on. The pictures were hung, I was happy the fish seemed squirmy and excited as usual (from being fed just before and all the action happening around them all of a sudden).

We leave to pick up my daughter from school (still can't drive with this broken leg) and she plays on the playground for a bit then we return. I make her chicken soup (as requested) get her settled for dinner and go to feed the fish their dinner.

The girls are doing their wiggle dance eager for their pellets...but the one who's the most vigorous at her pre-nom excitement isn't showing. In her cave? Look and look and look, finally pick it up and NO LARK.

Panic hits as search the counter of the dresser and then I know where I have to go... under the dresser. So with that I awkwardly lower myself down with this damn broken leg protesting the whole way (my physiotherapist would shoot me if she saw this) and doing an awkward half-laying half kneeling maneouver I can see a little dark lump on the hardwood in the dark. Yeah, I start sobbing. It takes me 4 tries to reach her each jarring my bad ankle closer into mass amounts of pain. I touch her with the tip of my finger and she's a bit wet, but not moving. As I curse start to pull away to get something to gather her with she flicks her tail up like : "NOES WAIT!"

SO I spring up (ouch) and grab a facecloth gently retrieve her and the poor girl is seemingly wrapped in a dust bunny. I put her back in her bowl and she floats sideways in a dust cocoon barely able to open her mouth. Not gonna do. Take the bowl to the kitchen and prep the smaller waiting bowl (for cleaning time) and put her in with some water and conditioner. I stood there (oww) and slowly stroked all of the dust off of her while she wriggled and spazzed out a bit not used to this at all. ("MUM, U NO PETZ ME!")

Put her back into her cleaned and refilled bowl and spent the next hour sitting on my bed watching her adjust then I dropped a few pellets in for her on the off chance she was hungry and she inhaled them. lol Some things never change.

This is Lark today. Still my pretty girl just a lil rough around the edges. <3

Last edited by goldyboy; 01-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.
goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 
Goomba3

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you were able to save her and she is doing well. I'm sure she is happy, knowing you put yourself in pain to save her. And I hope you get better soon!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #3 
goldyboy

Thanks! And yes, she's well on her way back to being her normal wriggly self. :) I'm just happy to have that sweet little face still peering at me every day.
goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #4 
mand

Poor Lark, i'm glad you found her in time. Hope your own leg heals soon.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

OY VAy! How did she escape the tank?
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #6 
peachesxo

aweeee, i'm so glad she was okay and you found her in time
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #7 
Lordsameth

She was just going out for a stroll and the trolls dragged her off and away...poor gal. I'm glad she's alright though, nice save!
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote