Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #1 
tsoto80

Was embarrassed to post this before

I been having problem with having high levels of ammonia ever since I got my fish tank. I constantly changed the water and vacuumed the gravel and the level always remained the same at 4.0. I know that is extremely high. I seen that other members tested their tap water so I decided to give it a try to my amazement it tested...I would say between 2.0 and 4.0? I am including the picture for a "second" opinion. What in the world do I do from here??? The fish seems to be acting normal so that is why it never alarmed me before.

Have to include a picture in a second post because my camera will not work on my desk top
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

Hmm I think I recall someone else haveing this problem before with there measurements reading high amonia levels and found out that the readings could also indecate an increase of something else that wasnt amonia and there fish just like yours are fine. Hopefully someone can key in what I am thinking it was.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #3 
tsoto80

the first vial is the tap water
Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #4 
tsoto80

anyone??
Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #5 
Luimeril

it appears... your tap water has high ammonia. o.0 maybe you could try some of that other water people use. >.> i forget what it's called, but i know my LPS sells it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #6 
Alex09

Use Prime water conditioner. It turns ammonia into ammonium(?) which the tests will still read as ammonia but is harmless to fish. You can also try mixing your tap water with distiller water…
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #7 
baylee767

^ I agree. Prime turns ammonia into a harmless form, so it's great for people with high ammonia in their tap! Wonder why yours is that high...

Last edited by baylee767; 01-25-2011 at 01:07 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #8 
aeharding

If you do do the above however, remember that your tap water level is "0" PPM. So if your tap water is 4PPM and you have 5, consider it 1. At least that's what I've heard others doing; I don't do it myself. I'm lucky enough to have perfect mountain water in my area.
aeharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #9 
tsoto80

Is it even safe to cook and drink water like this? I suppose so if noone is getting sick. I will switch conditioners It would be too expensive to buy water even for partial use. Thanks for the advice
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #10 
ChicagoPete

Ah ammonia to ammonium that was what I was thinkin. But yah try Prime by SeaChem and see If that atleast lowers it. I also think theres some other products for jus lowering ammonia like APi AmmoBlock or AmmoLock.... But I havent used it myself or heard enythin from others using it either. My next question is, do you have city or well water and if you do have city water is there someone you can call lika a cityhall who regulates your water and ask them why they are using such a high level of ammonia in your drinking water.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote