Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #11 
demonr6

If you are doing 20% water changes and your tank does not require loads of water, consider using bottled spring water while you sort things out. I use that at work since it is easy to store at my desk. At home we have a whole house filtration system and I fill my gallon bottles at faucet prior to the salination part of the treatment (the last part of the loop). The water tests sparkling clean there.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #12 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

tsoto80,

I would buy some small individual bottles of water from different sources (a couple of spring waters from different springs would be good) and run the water tests on them - just for comparison's sake). If the numbers are good on your spring samples, then your tap water is not fit for man nor beast!

If your test results from the spring samples match your tap water results, you may have mis-read your testing directions. If you have the api test kit, I know the test booklet has tiny print and can be confusing. If I get test results that are way off, I'll re-test with the directions open and in front of me. Usually that 'fixes' an odd test result!

One more note on contaminated water: I've had a dug well that was poisoned with a dead squirell in it and town water that was piped in with E. Coli. bacteria in it. Old homes that have lead water supply pipes can built up lead concentrations overnight. Well water from drilled wells can be tainted with naturally occuring arsenic or other minerals. Just because the water comes from your fawcet (sp) doesn't mean it's safe...

*ends lecture*

Good luck with your water woes!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #13 
DormDrax

This really can explain mysterious fish deaths... Unknown water containments. Makes you feel bad for those who did everything but, death still occurred, from the very water they thought was saving their Betta with water changes.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

DormDrax:

"This really can explain mysterious fish deaths... Unknown water containments. Makes you feel bad for those who did everything but, death still occurred, from the very water they thought was saving their Betta with water changes. "

Yeah, not to mention my whole family got ill from the dead squirrel incident! :p

Water quality issues are important for all living things.

Our fish are our 'canaries in a coal mine'. If the animals can't live in the water, it's no good for us, either.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #15 
tsoto80

I tested the water two times Ill do it again but Im sure it will read the sound. I know the writing in the book is small but I dont need glasses yet! lol I have city water. The town I live in is a small country town with little money. Dont know if they would spend the money on fixing the water all people care about here is getting drunk. there has to be an alternative than buying water. I have a 20 gallon, five gallon, and two 1 gallons (soon to be a ten). The filteration system sounds like a good idea. If I get the one that screws on the faucet would it filter out the ammonia? Since I live in an apartment I cant do anything major.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

tsoto80,

"The town I live in is a small country town with little money. Dont know if they would spend the money on fixing the water all people care about here is getting drunk."

Well, there's your problem. The townsfolk aren't drinking any of the water! Sober those puppies up and make them drink the water, ;)

We use a filter/pitcher system to filter our water. I tried the one that goes on the faucet but the unit didn't seat right, constantly got knocked from pots and pans, and leaked.

I would go the the various company websites for the filtration, check the specifications and see which system best suits your needs. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #17 
demonr6

The filtration method is a double edged sword. You are still going to have to buy an undersink filter or tap filter, both will require changing the filter out in six months or less depending on the type. Either way you are spending some kind of money. We went the whole house route because it is our home and it made most sense plus I was tired of spending fifty bucks every couple of months to replace all of our PUR water filters.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Good point.

Maybe a professional water test might be in order, before you invest any more money. Your town hall or local hardware store should be able to tell you who does the testing, so you could get a test kit.

Then (under certain perimeters), you gather a home water sample and send it to the professional lab. The test results should list everything they find in your water, and in what amounts, and give recommendations on how to fix your water.

The test will cost money, but then you'll know for sure what (if anything) you need to do to fix your water.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #19 
demonr6

Even if it is for your own peace of mind I would have your water quality checked beyond the simple tests.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #20 
Jupiter

You can get AmQuel+. It removes both cholrine and cholramines as well as ammonia from the tank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote