Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 
sab4758

Smile Brand New! Introducing Geddy and Cornelius :)

Hello everyone, brand new here and brand new ďofficialĒ owner of my betta Gedreht or Geddy. He is a red veil tail. He got his name because itís German for contorted, turned, twisted and for some reason when he is not fanned, his caudal fin is twisted. I donít know if this is common or not between VTís? My second one (which is kind of my first that Iím taking some custody over) Cornelius is a bluish green crown tail I believe.

Some background on my betta interest. It began after my boyfriend purchased Cornelius on impulse (never good to do with any animal) while he was at a chain store when he was with his friend. He basically stays in a 1.5 liter bowl and thatís all. Iím constantly nagging him to clean the tank because it gets extremely dirty after only a few days and he hates to clean it but if I nag him enough he will do it (I assumed no responsibility at the time because I did not buy it) and most of the time I have to feed him because the boyfriend forgets. Anyways we were both going out of town last weekend and I asked him what he was doing with the fish. His plan was to dump a lot of food at once and leave him for the next three daysÖI wasnít having it, and so I asked a friend of mine if he would watch it for the weekend. Do know over the past few months, Iíve slowly been growing attached to Cornelius. At last minute I cancelled my trip and assumed full responsibility for the betta. We donít have much money to begin with but my plan was to talk to my boyfriend and ask if I could just take care of him at my place, and that he wouldnít have to clean it or feed it but could see it everyday since we are at my place every day. I bought a new 1-gallon (I know small, but its all I can afford right now), with a filter and light, live plants and a rock tunnel for him. My stubborn boyfriend did not like the idea and wanted it at his place with his tank. So I had a new tank set up with no fish. I still felt bad, so I ended up buying Cornelius a live plant for his bowl, which so far he is loving, also I decided to save a ďBuild a BetaĒ VT that I grew attached to and put him in my new tank, aka Geddy! Lastly I plan to just stop nagging the BF and Iím just going to clean his bowl and feed him, even if he has to stay at the BFs house.

Sorry for the long background, but that is what has gotten me so into these neat fish, as well as reading through this site and how enthusiastic and helpful everyone is. So without further ado, Ill introduce you to Geddy and Cornelius.

sab4758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I think a 1 gallon is fine as long as you keep up with water changes (100% every other day), and he gets a place to hide and a plant, as well as a heater. It's better than a tiny bowl!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #3 
Jayy

Welcome to the forum! I do agree that 1gal is alright aslong as you keep up with water changes. Your red betta ( forgot his name lol!) is VERY nice. That live plant in your betta's bowl is not aquatic. Trust I've seen many people told by members that it's not.

Last edited by Jayy; 01-24-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 
Aluyasha

It is good that you are caring for them properly. Both of your Bettas are beautiful! I really like your boyfriend's Betta, never seen colours like that before. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #5 
sab4758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I think a 1 gallon is fine as long as you keep up with water changes (100% every other day), and he gets a place to hide and a plant, as well as a heater. It's better than a tiny bowl!
Thank you and I agree, its not much better, but it still is somewhat better for both of them. And when everyone says water changes, what exactly do you mean, change the entire tanks water every other day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Welcome to the forum! I do agree that 1gal is alright aslong as you keep up with water changes. Your red betta ( forgot his name lol!) is VERY nice. That live plant in your betta's bowl is not aquatic. Trust I've seen many people told by members that it's not.
Thank you very much for the compliment on Geddy, this morning when I turned on his light, either he was just saying good morning or he was pissed at me because he was flaring and swimming back and fourth like crazy for fifteen minutes. He sure looked pretty though :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
It is good that you are caring for them properly. Both of your Bettas are beautiful! I really like your boyfriend's Betta, never seen colours like that before. :)
Thank you very much, and actually I didnt now Cornelius was those colors until I took his photo, in person he looks like he is all completely dark blue, I never guessed his fins were green.
sab4758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Hey there and welcome to the forums! =] It's awesome that you've decided to take care of your bf's betta and to rescue one of the build a VTs!=]

The first thing I thought I'd suggest is that I didn't see a heater of any sort in either of those pictures. Both a heater and a thermometer of some sort is necessary as bettas are tropical fish. They require water in the mid 70's to low 80's (Fahrenheit) range. A great heater to buy (that would fit in both) is the tetra "adjustable" 15 or 25 watt heater. They tend to be really small and will easily fit in 1 gallons. The problem though with that specific heater is that it only heats at most 5 degrees above room temperature (and in my case not even that) so you'll have to make sure your home and his home are kind of warm to begin with. That or you could try the bigger heater. but I'm not sure how well that'd fit in your bowl and tank. :/ As a guideline I have 2 of those heaters in a 1 gallon vase with my betta Firedrake and they can barely keep it at 73*. :/ I have to wrap the vase in my AERO sweatshirt to keep it at 74* which is still 2 degrees below the suggested minimum. :/ I'm working on ordering some better heaters for it though, but I'll tell you about that in another paragraph! ;]

I WILL suggest though that you go ahead and spend the cash on a digital thermometer (the TopFin brand is what I currently use and love though there are rumors that my TopFin brand is slightly inaccurate. :/ You might want to look at reviews of different kinds first ;]) if you're clumsy (like me) as I find the glass and plastic traditional thermometers (like this) with suction cups always break while I'm doing a water change so I ended up spending more on traditional ones than I did on my two digital thermometers. The digitals haven't broken (though one is malfunctioning a bit because I got the digital reader wet. XD) so they're a good investment for the more accident-prone! =]

A great option (and really the best decision long-term) is to upgrade them to a bigger tank. 5 or 10 gallons are the most common sizes. You could either split the 5 or 10 gallon with a divider and have them in the same tank or you could upgrade to a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon each. It takes a bit of money to do this though so it's cool to keep them in the 1 gallons till you've got the cash. I've still got mine in 1 gallons (they're healing and now one's tailbiting :'[) and I've had them there since October. But I am upgrading them as soon as possible to a 5 gallon or two 5 gallons. Here's a great 5 gallon kit, I own it and love it(another 5 gallon kit that's popular though unfortunately it's out of stock at the moment. :[ That always seems to happen when it's on rollback. >n< I'd get this if you upgrade them to separate tanks of 5 gallons).

The empty 10 gallons used to be on sale at PetCo but apparently that sale ended. :/ BUT I did find that empty 10 gallons are on sale at Walmart for $12! =] It's just the empty tank but you can buy this filter for relatively cheap at Walmart (and it's what comes in the 5 gallon kit. it rocks. =]). Also if you get the empty 10 gallon, the filter, and a heater it'd probably cost about as much as an in-store (Walmart) 10 gallon kit would without the heater. So you'd be saving some money. Just an FYI. ;]

The heaters that I recommend the most (Because they're on a MAJOR SALE and a lot of people have them and like them) are the Hydor Theo heaters! They fit in 1 gallons (usually). You'll want a 50 watt for 5-10 gallons of water. If you chose to keep things the way they are till a couple of paychecks in the future however then I'd pick up a couple of 25 watt heaters for your 1 gallons! =] I'd still pick up the 25 watt heaters even if you decide to upgrade though. The reason being that if you decide to upgrade and one or both of them get sick 1 gallons make GREAT hospital/quarantine tanks as it's easier to do 100% water changes in them.

As an example in Firefly's (on of my other boys) 1 gallon I have a Marineland Stealth 25 watt heater. Not the Viitherm but the older stealth. They were taller and thinner back then so it just BARELY fits in his VERY LARGE pickle jar but it fits! =] It keeps the water at about 1 degree away from where I set it. So if I set it at 76 or 77 it'll be 75/77 or 76/78. =] It's a really great heater and it's truly adjustable! =] now that they only sell them (in stores) at 50 watts they're a little warmer but fiddling around with the heater you should find what number on the dial you have to keep it at to get the water at a perfect temperature (pf your choice and depending on their health at the time) in the range of 76* to 82*. =] Hydor theos though (my sister has some) are really small and tout. =] They're a great choice IMO for 1 or 2 gallon aquariums as they'll fit more easily than my older Marineland stealth. =] And I assume the same goes for the newer design of the Marineland Stealth Visi-Therms. =]

If you can't purchase things online though I highly recommend that you get the biggest tetra "adjustable" (the reson I put quotation marks is because it's not TRULY adjustable unless it has a knob to where you can decide and adjust the temperature to whatever you want/think is best.) heater you can for your upgrade (if you upgrade) or go to a local chain pet store (or a Local Fish Shop LFS for short if you're lucky enough to have one), compare prices and look for the cheapest adjustable heater of appropriate size from one of these brands: Marineland, Hydor, Fluval. Those ten to be quality heaters with god reputations. =]

I also agree that the second plant Definitely isn't aquatic though I don' know about the first. A lot of people on here have made the mistake. That's actually a plant you plant in your garden. you often see it lining people's front gardens or walk ways. I can't remember the scientific name of it right now though. :/

Sorry for the short novel! XD Hope this helped though. And remember that I'm just one of many members and that there will probably be many other suggestions on here. I just thought I'd post mine in between classes. =]

Hope you have a great day and good luck with your boys! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 01-25-2011 at 10:28 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #7 
Sweeda88

Yes, that means change all of the water every other day.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #8 
demonr6

Welcome and congratulations on your recent purchase. You will find there is a lot of useful information on here and some really nice, helpful people too.

I am familiar with both of those tanks, my sister had them both. The first tank pictured she still uses. Albeit small, with very frequent water changes I do not forsee a problem. I was not a huge fan of the filtration system to be honest but they don't need a filter to survive but a small heater is a must. The second tank though, replace it ASAP. I have that same tank at my desk and as a joke I keep a paper fish in it propped up on a paper clip. Top to bottom with the rocks I have 3 in. to the rim and the tank at its widest point is only about 6 in., the opening at the top measures about 4.5 in.

yes, that is the Spooky Fish from South Park and he measures in at 1.5 in so that should give you a pretty good idea how cramped the quarters are. I would really suggest a larger tank if at all possible, your little guy will be absolutely miserable in there.

demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Wow that is small! D: Is it within 90 days? I'd take it back if you can! If you get the money back for it you can put it towards a better tank. =]

LOL spooky fish! XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 
demonr6

Yeah, it's hella small. I was going to put a ghost shrimp in there and use it as a nano tank but even then I thought otherwise. I could picture the ghost shrimp climbing out and getting into a fist fight over the tank.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote