Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
bamsuddenimpact

Color fine on purchase, but next morning...

I have had two bettas, both now decreased that have had great color upon purchase. however, the next morning i woke up and they had white chins.. not like ich but a color loss confined to the chin. Any ideas? One died in 1.5 days in a perfect tank according to petco, and the second lasted 4 days in good water. Got a new one tonight, leery to name because of the past two.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #2 
Creat

More information would help.. My best idea is if the tanks are not heated get a heater asap. Petco sucks at telling people this betta need to be kept at about 80* F. This is crucial to betta health. How often do you feed? How often do you clean the water? Please you the sticky at the top of the emergency page and fill out that info it would help.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]72-74 is the highest it will go right now, not an adjustable heater[/color]
Does your tank have a filter? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]It did, but I was worried the bettas would be affected by the flow and removed it
[/color]Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] No[/color]
Is your tank heated? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Yes![/color]
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Himself[/color]

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] I have tried alternating between pellets, but i am thinking those are too big, flakes for bettas, and the container type bloodworms. the new one seems to like the bloodworms, never saw the others eat but the bloodworms were missing shortly after put in tank[/color]
How often do you feed your betta fish? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Twice daily.[/color]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I try to take one bowl out every other day( the bowl is like a quarter of my tank)[/color]
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]According to my estimations, 25%(though they never stay around long enough for more water changes)[/color]
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I just got stress zyme yesterday to help build up bacteria they told me. and the lady at petco gave me some of their water(like 2+ gallons with conditioner to see if we can correct this)[/color]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I have petco test it[/color]

Ammonia: [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Good[/color]
Nitrite:[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]IDK[/color]
Nitrate:[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]IDK[/color]
pH:[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]was 7.2 but the current water is 6.8(petco water)[/color]
Hardness: [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]A bit soft i believe, not sure about current water[/color]
Alkalinity: [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]IDK[/color]

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]They got the white scale discoration on chin[/color]
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] First one was always putting himself in the same cell phone size area of the tank, The second one just seemed lazy. current one has made(could be wrong) a bubble nest the first night and no sign of discoloration[/color]
When did you start noticing the symptoms? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Next morning[/color]
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Did not know what to do[/color]
Does your fish have any history of being ill? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Only 1.5 and 4 days lasted. Current one about 12 hrs owned.[/color]
How old is your fish (approximately)? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Not sure[/color]
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 
Creat

Do you add water conditioner to your tap water when you change it? It removes chlorine from the water and I would suggest changing the water twice a week once 50% and the other 100% or else the ammonia builds up in the water and is probably what killed him the last time. ? And pellets are more nutritious to betta but if his mouth is to small flakes are fine. And I would defiantly get another heater one that reaches 80*F for thats about where they should be at at all times. And I would never use Petco's water it is filthy and full of diseases.... I do hope your little boy lives.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #5 
bamsuddenimpact

He made me a bubble nest last night, his first night. And the water she gave me was from their tap, not a tank. She added the water conditioner to the water, but the only water conditioner I have is bettamax which I thought I saw was bad for bettas. The new one has not lost any color and seems to be a vigorous swimmer.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #6 
bamsuddenimpact

And where can I find a heater for a 2.5 gallon that goes to 80 that isn't really expensive?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 
JessG

I had a Hydor mini in my 2.5, and while it isn't temperature adjustable, with that amount of water, it did just fine keeping it at a steady 78-80 degrees.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A.../dp/B0006JLPFE

I found it at an aquarium shop for less than ten dollars.

Jess
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #8 
demonr6

I bought an adjustable at Wal-Mart that was not too expensive and seems to keep temps stable at what I set it.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote