Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #1 
small fry

Setting up a sorority tonight?

Hi. I was going to setup a sorority soon, but my sister beat me to it. She has the tank and we are going to either Petco or Petsmart today. I have afew questions.

I know you are supposed to have at least 5 females, do they all need to be added the same day? Could she add more later? How far apart should the females be added (like minutes or hours e.g.)? What kind of WC schedule would need to be done to keep the water quality ok (the tank is un-cycled)? Is there anything I need to know about a sorority that needs special attention (other than watching for signs of aggression)?

If there is anything I haven't ask about, it is probably because I am not aware of it. Please help if I missed any details. This is the first sorority in our house, so this is kind of a new experience.

Thanks!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

They need to all be added at once. If you want to add more later, you have to take out all of the females, rearrange the decor, and put them all back in at the same time. Never add them a few minutes or hours apart. That causes too much aggression in the ones that were in there first.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #3 
small fry

I am abit concerned, though. The tank isn't cycled. She can do massive water changes, but how long would she need to do that daily?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I don't know. I've never cycled a tank before. I would wait to get the fish until it is cycled, though.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #5 
small fry

Ok then. I guess we'll wait til the tank is cycled. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

You're welcome. =)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #7 
small fry

. You can't say I didn't try. I told her I could make her do anything, but I highly advised her not to get bettas tonight. She said she wouldn't mind the maintanence (she HATES water changes, but I hope she will make an effort). Now she has 6 or 7 crowntail/veiltail females.

I guess now I need to know how far apart to add them, what kind of WC schedule, etc.

Maybe I can move some filter media over or something to help the tank throught the cycle. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Add them ALL at the same time. If you don't there will be more territory disputes. Also, when you are doing a fish-in cycle, I think you have to change 50% of the water every day. I'm not sure though.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #9 
small fry

Sounds good. Might just do 75% to be on the safe side.

The females wont be added intil my sister gets a bunch more fake plants. She forgot in all the exitment of getting bettas. Maybe they can be moved into the tank tommorow.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with what Sweeda said. I would add them at the same time to avoid someone claiming territort first.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote