Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Please help my Liberty...

I have had this wonderful crowntail betta fish named Liberty for 7 months. I got him at Petco. He lives in a 1 gallon filtered tank. He just got a new present, a little cave/house thingy. Anyways, the past few months his fins have gotten literally transparent and as thin as paper. My mom suggested I double the amount of food I usually feed him, and after doing so for a month his color has really come back. However, the "crown" parts of his tail seem to break in half and then fall off. This has been going on for a month. I will post some before and after pics, please tell me what I can do to help his fins...? I am worried. He is still eating with a ton of energy, he is still swimming around alot and acting like himself. The first pic is a before, the rest were just taken. You can see that he lost a lot of fin... I just turned the filter off for the pics, it is on all of the rest of the time. He just seems to stay still more when it is off. I feed him until his tummy is bulging, he seems better when I do that. Please help?
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
lilchiwolf

Fin Rot?

Also you don't want to feed him till his belly is big. That can lead to bloat or SBD.

Last edited by lilchiwolf; 01-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

I don't think it is fin rot. There aren't any dark edges, I clean his tank when it gets dirty and I do partial water changes daily. He is still acting very healthy... oops, forgot to tell you what medications I have on hand! I have Melafix, Bettafix, and Kordon Rid-Ich. I use Tetra water conditioner and I feed Tetra bloodworms. I know I shouldn't feed him until his tummy is too big, but he seemed starved before when I fed him the reccomended amount... Don't worry, I don't feed him TOOO much. He isn't that big.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

Melafix and betta fiz are actually harmful for bettas from what I've read. Better to go the natural rout and avoid medication if possible.
Clean water normally helps.
A Mod will probably jump on this soon. When my betta was sick I did 100% daily until I saw improvement.
A salt bath is also beneficial. 1tsp Aquarium salt per gallon does nicely to help aid a sick fish, but only use it for 10 days max. Then discontinue the salt treatment for a week or more before returning to the treatment if it's still needed.
I would say finrot as well. There aren't always dark edges on the fins from what I've seen on here and on my fish Patriot.
But in case it isn't finrot, the salt bath is an all bases covered sort of treatment.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

Melafix and Bettafix are the same thing other than Bettafix is watered down a lot. Its not really good for them. I bought some to treat my betta with fin rot, it made things worse. So I wont buy it no more. The best thing I found was aquarium salt and water changes. You have him in a 1 gal, I would start doing the %50 changes with salt on and off and see how he turns out. Feed him a little less to keep wastes down. You never know, he could have ammonia burns making his fins frail. :/
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

Okay, I'll do that. Where can I get aquarium salt? The only kind I have ever seen is a 5 pound bag that is like $20. I can't spend that much, and I don't need that much salt... and what a bummer, I wish I had thought of that today when I went to Petco. I got 2 Spongebob caves, betta bulbs and new filter cartridges. Should have gotten the aquarium salt... All of my bettas got presents, hehe.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #7 
lilchiwolf

You can get it at petsmart. The sell smaller ones for like $3. Come in a blue like milk cartin that looks like this: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDcQ8gIwBQ#
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 
Biomess

My opinion on this would be that if all you ever feed him is the freeze dried bloodworms, then he is lacking many essential nutrients in his diet. I would really recommend buying a pellet food and use that as his main source and only the bloodworms every other day as a treat.
I use the Aqua Culture brand, as they are small enough for their mouths, unlike some brands out there that are too large for the poor fish to eat.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #9 
Luimeril

my brother's CT does that. and, my CT's rays' curl up. my mom's CT? both. it could be your water's too hard, or something. that's the explanation i got about our CTs.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

I don't have any test kits for testing water parameters, so I wouldn't know. I am preforming daily 50% water changes. I will try feeding him some betta flake food, because it is all I have on hand for other food. I will try going out to the store soon.