Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #1 
FishFood

Unhappy Black/brown edges on fins and gil cover. Please help!

My male Betta Ruben and one of my females have developed a black/brown gunk on the edges of their fins and Ruben's gill cover. I don't know what this is and other sources have mixed answers. Can anyone tell me what I am dealing with so that I can fix it?
He is in a 10gal with 4 other females (divided) with a filter.
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #2 
lilchiwolf

brownish gunk? Hmm...this could be the start of velvet. Its a bad fungus that you would want to treat quickly. Here is some more info on it:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 
FishFood

I don't think that it is velvet, the don't share any of the other symptoms of velvet (besides him not eating, I don't have the food he likes right now). Some people told me it was burns, some say finrot, I really have no clue :(
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #4 
c4talys7

Has he been acting differently? It almost just looks like it's part of his scales and gills. The white on his face looks a little suspicious though.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
FishFood

The picture makes it look like he has white on his face, but he really doesn't. I think it was just the flash.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your fish are not well...have a few questions...

This is a 10gal/divided filtered tank with 1 male and 4 females..correct?

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, additives used, live plants, any medication added lately or treatment tried, how long has the tank been set up with the 5 Bettas?

Any other symptoms besides the discolored fins?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #7 
FishFood

Yes. I do water changes once a week, I changed it yesterday, the water temp is about 73F (My heater is on it's way and should come soon), betta bowl plus water conditioner, There are not live plants in the tank, and I have not had any medication to the tank, the tank has been set up with the 5 bettas for about 2 weeks (new tank, cleaned, let sit for about a week to get all the bad stuff off, and then just 4 fish for 6 weeks). No, they have no other symptoms. They are all acting normal.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Great, and good that you have the heater on the way-too low water temp for too long can compromise their immune response

The discoloration on the fin edges may be from ammonia burns with a secondary fin rot....I would make some 50% daily water changes for 3-4 days and then increased water changes until the nitrogen cycle establishes...if the areas start to look worse or they start to have any changes in behavior or appetite I would QT the affected fish and start a 10day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes

In a 10g filter tank with 5 fish during the nitrogen cycle-I would increase your water changes to twice a week-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate vacuuming...once cycled (4-6 weeks) 1-50% with vacuuming should maintain water quality

Give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to maintain good water flow-*unless water flow has slowed you want to wait until the nitrogen cycle is established before your first rinse/swish

Make sure the dechlorinator you are using covers-chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals...Prime is a good one and API makes a good one too
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #9 
FishFood

Thank you so much, I am going to print this out and start on it right away! :)
Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #10 
DormDrax

Oldfishlady pretty much spelled it out but since I did all this rooting around about Nitrites and Nitrates from my paranoia of my tank cycling...

Nitrites cause blood suffocation... which... hmm has his face always had that pale white coloring? Don't want to scare you (Who knows I could be terribly wrong with my facts) but could mean he doesn't have proper circulation of the blood from Nitrites. As I said, I could be wrong... In fact I probably am wrong so don't panic.
Clean water will remedy this... and... well just do what Oldfishlady said haha.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote