Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #1 
Byte

Unhappy Poorly Gill?

I noticed after purchasing my Male Betta and placing him into his new home that his right hand gill is puffed out. I assume I bought him this way and just did not notice in the shop

It doesn't seemed to have affected his swimming, eating or living abilities so far (having owned him a little over a week and keeping a close eye)

Is this a serious problem I should address, could there possibly be something stuck within it?

Byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #2 
FishFood

There are a few things that it might be: injury, parasites, genetics, ammonia burns, or water quality issues.
If he came like that and has not changed in that long, I am thinking it is not just an injury. You might want to test your water to see if everything is normal. take a good look at the gill that is open to see if there is anything on it (white things) then he may have paracites which you can treat. If none of those are the case, he might just have been born that way, and if he is living happily in there is not need to do anything.
Some questions that might help the diagnosis are: Do you treat your water before you put it in your tank? What size tank it it? Have you tested your water? Do you change the water regularly?
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
Byte

Yes I treat my water before I put it in, it's a 1 gallon tank, I test the water regularly and everything seems normal, 50% change every other day

Hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 
FishFood

My guess would be parasites or genetics. I would look at the gill ery closely to see if you can observe any abnormality. If there is something there it is probably a external parasite that you can treat for. If the gill looks fine, and the fish is happy, it might just be a genetic malfunction that he may grow out of, or may not. He is a very pretty fish.
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
Byte

Thank you, he is rather lovely for a store bought. I know this sounds strange but I seem to have resolved the problem, I let him have a little fun with a mirror the other day and of course there he goes flaring his gills and fanning out those fins. After letting him strut his stuff the bloated looking gill retreated back normally just like the other

Weird but glad it's sorted
Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #6 
plakatfighter123

try ordering some indian almond leaves it heals the fish
plakatfighter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #7 
plakatfighter123

and hardens the scales
plakatfighter123 is offline   Reply With Quote