Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 
Amehzes

Question Are plastic plants safe?

I know that the regular fish store plants aren't good for bettas, and this question isn't about those. My question is, are the plastic plants from crafts stores like Michael's safe to use as floating decor? I liked having a floating live plant, but it died very quickly. I'm not looking to take care of a live plant anymore, since I'm inexperienced, and am stuck on campus 6 days a week. I found a flat, leaf only plant at Michaels, made out of plastic, that has no sharp points or anything, and it looked like it would work as a floating plant. I wasn't sure if the plastic would be safe for a betta though. Any thoughts?
Amehzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You can use pet store plants that are silk or SOFT plastic. You can use the craft store kind ONLY if it doesn't have ANY metal in it, and most of them do. Things like fake vines usually don't though.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
Amehzes

Yeah, I always use silk plants. This plastic plant thing doesn't contain metal, and its kind of like a vine, so I'll assume its good to go then. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any chemical issues with it.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Just make sure to rinse it really well. I doubt they use very different materials for the pet store plants vs. craft store plants.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 
Amehzes

I gave it a hot water bath in a cup. After I put it in, my betta seemed intrigued by it, but is already bored of it. Oh well.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 
baylee767

Lol that's what my Betta does.

"Put a pingpong ball in your tank! The Betta will love pushing it around and playing with it!" *A few minutes later* Neon looks at the ball, flares at it, and swims away.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
Amehzes

Haha, yeah. My female veiltail did the same thing when I did that to her. Haven't tried it with my boys yet. The only thing that seems to interest my boys is a dry erase board maker. If I get it anywhere near their tanks, they flare up and start trying to get at it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #8 
danifacetastic

I use plastic and silk plants both in my tanks. Mainly plastic though. You just have to make sure that they're not too sharp or jagged for bettas.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote