Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #1 
baylee767
Member
 
baylee767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hawaii- Go Diamond head!
I want a job!!!

Dumb child labor laws. Okay not really, some are good, but some I don't like.

I want to start working so I can start funding towards breeding Bettas. Well, I'm 13, and you have to be 14 to get a job. But at 14 there are only 2 or 3 jobs available to you! I'd have to wait until I'm 16 to get a real job at a petstore or something (I want). I can kind of understand it being akward for a customer to have to ask a child for help when they're used to telling them what to do, but honestly people have to get used to the fact that not all kids think of playing with their "little toys" And "Racing around on bikes!" And "riding the dog like a horsey!"

I'm guessing they assume people under the age of 16 are immature, since the only jobs minors can do here in Hawaii are religion jobs and harvesting. I know many 13 year olds who are more mature than some 16 year olds.

I want to afford a whole bunch of Betta tanks so bad, and get into breeding, and I don't want to wait until I'm 16, which is the year I'm moving.

-rant over.

Last edited by baylee767; 01-25-2011 at 02:18 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #2 
Tsuhei
Member
 
Tsuhei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Why don't you try babysitting? I started out at age 12 with that...then I got a job that paid under the table at a local pub in the small town I grew up in...I bussed tables =) My mom was the bartender. Try asking around?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #3 
SaylorKennedy
Member
 
SaylorKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Why don't you try babysitting? I started out at age 12 with that...then I got a job that paid under the table at a local pub in the small town I grew up in...I bussed tables =) My mom was the bartender. Try asking around?
That's exactly what I did! Started babysitting (still do it too) then when I was 14-15 I worked at the local pub/pizza place getting paid under the table. My aunt was the bartender. :D
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #4 
1fish2fish
Member
 
1fish2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
I want you to listen to me and listen very hard because this is important.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take your time. Don't try to rush into finding a job and working. Let me be the first of many to tell you working sucks and working and going to school is almost impossible while still having time to have fun.


I've been in the same position you are and I never believed all the people who are older than I am saying "wait, enjoy your child hood, you have time.. etc"... but it is true. You can't get these months and years back. One day your likely to wake up wondering where all the fun times went. Where did the lazy days hanging with friends and watching tv go?


If you want extra money look up odd jobs around the neighborhood. Mowing lawns, walking dogs, carrying groceries. Personally I think 13 is too young to baby sit (sorry.. no offense intended) because based on personal experiences a 13 year old doesn't have the means to effectively control younger children, especially badly behaved ones.


With odd jobs you aren't accountable to show up every day all the time. It's much easier. Focus on getting great grades in school and looking into colleges and above all have fun. Fish can wait but you'll never get your adolescence back.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #5 
Tsuhei
Member
 
Tsuhei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I want you to listen to me and listen very hard because this is important.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take your time. Don't try to rush into finding a job and working. Let me be the first of many to tell you working sucks and working and going to school is almost impossible while still having time to have fun.


I've been in the same position you are and I never believed all the people who are older than I am saying "wait, enjoy your child hood, you have time.. etc"... but it is true. You can't get these months and years back. One day your likely to wake up wondering where all the fun times went. Where did the lazy days hanging with friends and watching tv go?


If you want extra money look up odd jobs around the neighborhood. Mowing lawns, walking dogs, carrying groceries. Personally I think 13 is too young to baby sit (sorry.. no offense intended) because based on personal experiences a 13 year old doesn't have the means to effectively control younger children, especially badly behaved ones.


With odd jobs you aren't accountable to show up every day all the time. It's much easier. Focus on getting great grades in school and looking into colleges and above all have fun. Fish can wait but you'll never get your adolescence back.
Well I took a training class which also included CPR for babysitting..soooo

As for the job part...I do agree with you. I had a rough life, so I really didn't have a childhood. I had to get a job and learned how to pay bills by age 14 and had to support my mother...it sucked. So I wholeheartedly agree to maybe doing odd jobs and taking everything in stride - childhood experiences and fun is important.

Baylee, if you absolutely, positively do not need to work, I suggest relaxing and waiting a bit more. Maybe ask your parents for allowance if you do certain things? Like shoveling the driveway if it's snowy, pulling weeds, reorganizing the tool shed (I feel like a hick now...), etc.

@SaylorKennedy:

No way! Small world, isn't it?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #6 
fredythefish
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
So, I still "ride my dog like a horsey" and i'm 17 and don't have a job , I take offense to this! haha
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #7 
Tsuhei
Member
 
Tsuhei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredythefish View Post
So, I still "ride my dog like a horsey" and i'm 17 and don't have a job , I take offense to this! haha
Omg, I just spit my cheerios all over my computer monitor!
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #8 
Feral
New Member
 
Feral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Utah
You have my sympathies Baylee, but child labor laws were not enacted to prevent you from earning money, they came about as a reaction to times, cultures, and conditions where children were too often treated as tools or animals to be exploited by unscrupulous employers or desperate parents, the idea being to allow children to be children to at LEAST some degree. Even here in the US in the early 20th century the 40 hour work week was nonexistant and many, including children, were routinely worked in excess of 60 hours a week for wages that were half (or less) what an adult would demand. My maternal Grandmother was removed from school by her father at age eight and put to work in a seamstress shop to help support her family, what a life!

Granted, the laws could well be revisited and some allowance made for young folk who sincerely desire to work a reasonable number of hours at a job that would not be hard on a young mind and body. Sad but true, the law is almost always waaaaay behind the times.

Good luck and my admiration for wanting to earn your own money, I'm sure you'll find a a way.

Last edited by Feral; 01-25-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 
Alex09
Member
 
Alex09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I'm 19 and have never had a real job. But I was a good student and because of that I'm being paid to go to college. So focus on school and be a kid (not that I would know much, I was a bookworm loner at that age). From my friends that do have jobs: "it sucks."
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.