Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #1 
Betta Slave

Help with corydoras?

I've been looking at pictures of cories, and they seem like fun little fish... I'm wondering, do any of you keep a tank or two strictly for cories? I think they'd be interesting to have and I'd like to try breeding them once I got to know them a bit better.

Any basic cory care would be appreciated...they would need filters/bubblers, correct? They're so different from bettas :/
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #2 
shinybetta

I love Corydoras! I keep my four in a tank with my betta, shrimp, BN pleco, and hatchetfish. Filters/bubblers are not necessary, but should be used unless you absolutely can't. They do have a labyrinth organ, but they aren't as dependant on surface air as bettas. They need smooth gravel or sand (I think they prefer sand), because of their sensetive barbels. One of mine lost all of his whiskers before I switched to sand. Cories are very fun. They are easy to breed, although I have yet to breed mine. Remember they need schools of 4+, though 3 is fine for a while. I have seen some awesome corydoras tanks on youtube!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cories are so cute and fun to watch.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #4 
Betta Slave

Thank you for th information! I didn't know they had labyrinth organs. And yes, they are very cute

Can a group of four/five cories be kept in a five gallon, or would they be better off in a ten gallon? Or still larger?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #5 
shinybetta

Cories need a minimum of 10 gallons. You could keep 5-6 pygmy corydoras and 4 of the regular size. I find that albino's are very bold, while my spotted corydoras always hide when I come in the room. They do need Hiding spots. Mine love their diftwood! And they prefer more than one entrance.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

Thank you, I suppose bigger is always better when it comes to tanks. I'll look around and research a bit more.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Corydoras- do not have a labyrinth organ, however, they can and do take gulps of air from the surface and the oxygen is then used by absorbing it within the intestinal walls....the excess it then release via the vent or fishy toots....

As posted-corydoras are social fish and do best when kept in numbers the more the better and the more natural behavior you will see too and what cool and interesting behavior they have.
They do best in heavy planted tank with sand or small diameter gravel due to their delicate barbels and even high nitrate can cause barbel erosion.

Breeding/spawning is pretty easy with most corydoras-make a big water change making the replacement water about 10 degrees cooler and they usually will spawn...provided that they have been conditioned and you have both sexes in the tank.....1 female to 2 males if you want to do a spawning tank or a large species tank, heavy planted with a dozen or more.....most scatter eggs, some attach eggs to plant leaves or the tank wall and a few other methods...but mostly egg scatter.......

Corydoras can be sensitive to salt and a lot of medications...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #8 
shinybetta

Oh sorry. I thought they had labyrinths because they breath air. Well, anyways, it is mostly the same.....
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Oh sorry. I thought they had labyrinths because they breath air. Well, anyways, it is mostly the same.....
Yes, it is kinda the same yet different...corydoras do have a unique way to get oxygen they need that other fish don't.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote