Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question Dog experts, please come here!

I need your help with something and I'd rather have advice and help and no criticisms.
6 months ago we adopted a puppy from the local humane society. After having him for 4 days, we felt like he wasn't a fit for us and we returned him. A few days later we received a call from the humane society telling us the puppy was sick (I think they said Parvo, but I am NOT 100% sure. I tried calling them and they aren't answering at the moment). There is no way that this pup got it from here because we have never had a dog in or around this house since we moved in. I'm pretty sure it got sick at the humane society. Since I'm not sure if it was Parvo or not, I've been acting like it is. Now, when the dog was here for the short time, every time he pooped I cleaned it up into a bag and threw it in the trash. He was not allowed on the furniture and spent 99% of the time in the living room and kitchen. I've been taking extreme measures to clean the house. I have thoroughly bleached my floors, every inch of carpet, rugs, the bottom of ALL of our shoes, and I bleached the entire yard, driveway, walkway, porch, deck. I did all of this recently.
Since it has been 6 months and I did lots of bleach cleaning, I've been looking into adopting a dog. I didn't want a puppy this time around, because they need a TON more attention and training then an older dog.
I am interested in a 2 year old dog that is UTD on all shots and preventative care. She is NOT coming from the humane society where we got the puppy.

I was wondering would it be safe to introduce this dog into my home after the 6 month waiting period, that she is older, and that I have bleached anything that has been in contact with that puppy (and not knowing if it was Parvo or not)?

Once again, please no harsh words are needed. Thank you to anyone that can help. :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

You bleached your grass?????!!!!!!!!!
Its fine. 6th monts. that 5 moths more than you probably needed.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Yes, yes I did. :)
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #4 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Yes, yes I did. :)
didn't it all die?????
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #5 
Feral

You should be fine what with all the cleaning you did, the time lapse, and your prospective new dog being up on its shots. Adult dogs are FAR less susceptible to parvo too.

Good luck and enjoy your new fuzzy friend!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #6 
vaygirl

It sounds like you did everything recommended. Just make sure you don't bring an older dog or a very young dog into your home and you should be okay.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #7 
Abby

i found this:

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm
How do I prevent the spread of Parvo?

The surest way to avoid parvo infection in your dog is to adhere to the recommended vaccination schedule which begins when puppies are 6-8 weeks of age. Puppies should not be allowed to socialize with other dogs or frequent areas where other dogs have been until 2 weeks after they have had their last vaccination. Immunization for parvo is usually included in your dog's distemper vaccine. This shot gives protection against several potentially fatal canine diseases all at the same time.
If your pet becomes infected, please keep in mind that dogs with parvo shed the virus in their feces and are extremely contagious to other dogs. Follow these recommendations to help prevent the spread of this disease.
  • Keep the infected dog isolated from all other dogs for at least one month after full recovery.
  • Clean up all the dog's stools in your yard.
  • Use a 1:30 ratio of chlorine bleach and water to clean food and water bowls (4 oz. in 1 gallon of water). Wash any bedding the dog has been in contact with in this same bleach solution and hot water. You should also try to disinfect any other areas that the dog has been, like linoleum, concrete kennels, crates, etc.
  • If you have any other dogs that are two years old or younger, or who have never been vaccinated for parvo, please bring them in for a booster as soon as possible.
  • Be sure to feed your dog a bland diet, such as Canine Prescription i/d, until he is fully recovered. When switching back to his normal diet, mix the regular food with the i/d for 2-3 days to help your pet gradually adjust to the change.
What If I've got Parvo in my home?

If you have had parvo in your home, use a strong bleach/water solution to kill it. Soak the yard with it -- better to kill the grass than your next dog! Be careful using it on carpets and fabrics, though. Parvo can live up to 6 months or so in your home or yard. Before you bring home another dog, be sure it has a strong immunity to parvo. You can have a veterinarian draw blood and run a titre to find out how well your prospective dog will fare in a parvo-infected environment. Adult dogs generally have a higher resistance than puppies do, but they need to be kept current on their vaccines. If in doubt, have your vet do the titre.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #8 
Abby

When u got the first dog coming from a humane society should it have had all its shots first? that site might help you but if your in doubt further give your local vet a call the nurses might be able to help you.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #9 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
You should be fine what with all the cleaning you did, the time lapse, and your prospective new dog being up on its shots. Adult dogs are FAR less susceptible to parvo too.

Good luck and enjoy your new fuzzy friend!
what is that thing in your profile picture????
Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
When u got the first dog coming from a humane society should it have had all its shots first? that site might help you but if your in doubt further give your local vet a call the nurses might be able to help you.
He did, and he wasn't due for the next set for another week or so, we had him for 4 days.

I did a lot of research and read around and it's all pretty scary stuff. Mostly people talked about bringing another puppy into the home, but really nothing on introducing an older dog.