Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #1 
coolcucumber

Help me! Not sure whats going on here.. Frayed fins?

My veil tail boy has just been in his divided side for about 2 days, and yesterday i noticed his caudal has been split down the middle, and frayed. I have no idea how this happened, it doesnt look like tail biting. its a 5gal with 2 betta boys, but ive blocked the divider a bit, so they can see each other but not too well. I dont know HOW this happened, his dorsal fin has been clamped for the past week or so, but not frayed. Ill post a pic here, but what could it be? Any ideas?

Hes in a vase floating in the tank with aquarium salt. wasnt sure if bettafix was a good idea. anywho, take a look and let me know.

Sorry, the piccture isnt so good. the second he sees me with the camera, he wont sit still -.-
Attached Images

coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

1) I would check any decorations in the tank, like plants and caves, for anything scratchy that could have torn his fins. Betta fins heal remarkably well on their own, so don't worry to much.
2) Is the tank clean? Fin rot could slowly wear away the bettas fins, and it is caused by dirty water.
3) It sounds odd that his top fin would be clamped when his other fins aren't. Maybe ther is something wrong with it.
I am sorry, I can't think of anything else.
Whoops, forgot. I use bettafix on my bettas for their fin problems and it works very well, but everyone on this website insists against it. I don't know what your opinion on it is...
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

Alright. ive used it once and it was fine. There are no decorations other than a live anubias, and the heater, and the divider (he shares the tank)

So, i really dont know. the water is fine, ill go test it again right now
Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #4 
coolcucumber

anyone?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

If the Bettafix is working for you, I say go for it. I think it works just fine. And that is very strange. Are you positive it isn't tail biting? A couple of weeks ago I got a HM from Petco that had taken a chomp or two out of his tail. It healed in 2 days with a few drops of Bettafix. If there isn't anything in the tank at all that could scratch his fins, it is either fin rot or tail biting.
P.S. He is a lovely VT! Love the yellow on his fins. :D
Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #6 
coolcucumber

I know :) I think hes a chocolate, but he has really shiny blue on his fins. when hes better, ill try ad get a better pic.

I dont thin its tail biting, it should be U-shaped. i think. It could be fin rot, but theres no blue, and it happened over a couple hours, when i wasnt paying attention to him.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Huh. Well, fin rot doesn't occur in a couple of hours, so I don't think it is that. And sometimes if a betta bites very viciously, the bite isn't u-shaped because he actually tears some instead of bites. And he does look like a chocolate... hmm... well, he's lovely and I hope he gets better soon. :D I'd just keep using the Bettafix and see how he does.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
coolcucumber

Alright :) Im hoping its not tail biting.. hes such a gorgeous boy :)

Thanks for your help! Ill et the betta fix now :D
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

I hope it isn't tail biting! That would be sad. But it should heal perfectly on it's own. :) And remember the thing everyone hates about Bettafix... everyone hates it. I like the stuff, keeps my fishies' fins healthy, but everyone else on here doesn't like it. :/ He sure is lovely!