Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 
Azriel Delacroix

New member, with a new fish, and a new problem.

Hello, I am new to this forum. That said, I am very concerned for my Betta fish.

I had this fish for a week now, I am a new fish owner and have little experience with them. I bought this little guy, who I named Bruce Li, after my favorite martial artist, from Wal-Mart last week. He looked miserable along with the other Bettas in the department so I decided to buy him and see to it that he is happy.

I had him set up in one of these with the divider taken out:

http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/720/2...qSPvPac4MP.jpg

He seemed happier than a clam in a bake after I got him out of that small little container and had some freedom. But then today when I was changing his water, I noticed something went horribly wrong. After he got back into his home, he sank to the bottom of the bowl and remained motionless for a few minutes. After watching closely I noticed droplets of blood on his fins, and upon closer inspection I noticed that during the water change his fins had been horribly torn. I immediately prepared the small but clear container and carefully netted him back in there for observation.

He doesn't seem too happy about being in such a confined space, but it's for his own good I think. So, um, since I don't want Bruce to die or his fins to be torn even more, I was wondering, what do I do?
Azriel Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #2 
bamsuddenimpact

First problem is, DO NOT net bettas. It rips their fins, which is most likely his problem. Fins usually heal on their own. Try to scoop a betta out with a container in one scoop when changing water.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #3 
Azriel Delacroix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsuddenimpact View Post
First problem is, DO NOT net bettas. It rips their fins, which is most likely his problem. Fins usually heal on their own. Try to scoop a betta out with a container in one scoop when changing water.
I didn't know this.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your first Betta is not well....

As long as you are careful and wet the net first you can safely use a net to transfer the Betta from one container to another....

The container on the link is really not big enough for 2 Bettas like pictured....it will be fine for 1 betta provided that you make the needed water changes...one of the biggest problems with that container is safely heating it...too small to add a heater and this is very important for this species of fish....stable water temp in the 76-80F range

Due to the injury-I would make daily 100% water changes and once he is healed you can maintain water quality with every 2 days 100% water changes

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with the water changes to prevent temp shock problems and use a good dechlorinator with any water used for the Betta if you are on city water supply

You may want to look into getting a larger tank so you can add a heater...at least 1-2gal will be fine as long as you are willing and able to make the needed water changes...the bigger the tank the less water changes are needed...can make Betta care a bit easier when life happens...lol.....and it will.....lol....

Look forward to seeing some pics and hearing more about your new wet-pet

Good luck and keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 
Learn To Fly

Well, I'm not an expert on diseases but....

A) your tank is really too small-2 gallons or more is best. You can get a cheap Kritter Keeper or Sterilite tub to keep him in.

B) the plants in that kit are plastic, and they can be sharp and tear your betta's fins. That could be part of the problem. Silk or live ones are better.

C) I use nets and cups, and the nets have not ripped my bettas' fins. I think, personally, that it's fine to net bettas.

And, that over, plenty of fresh, warm, de-chlorinated water will help your little guy. You really should get a heater, because bettas are tropical fish and like 78* (+/-) temperatures. Aquarium salt (NOT table salt) is a good "natural" healer, and I think Epsom salt may work as an alternative, though it's better for other stuff. Until you can get him something bigger, daily water changes are quite necessary. If you have a heating pad laying around, you can put that underneath as a quick fix for heat. With the right care, his fins will heal right up!

EDIT: I type too slowly. OFL's the resident expert here lol...

So yeah...OFL, you said what I was trying to say, plus more XD. Don't listen to me, except I forgot to say welcome to the forum to Azriel Delacroix :)

Last edited by Learn To Fly; 01-25-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #6 
Azriel Delacroix

I'd like to thank you guys for the advice. I'll go and make the necessary arrangements when I have the funding. Poor lil' guy, I didn't know he needed a heater and all that.

Last edited by Azriel Delacroix; 01-25-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #7 
lmh5558

Thumbs up Don't give up!!

I'm new to this, too. I also don't have a lot of money; that's why I chose a betta.

All I have for my betta, Grover (yes, Grover ) is a half-gallon glass bowl, small gravel, a few decorative stones, a silk tree, betta food and a good de-clorinator (however you spell it).

I don't use a net. I just gently coax him out of his bowl into a smaller bowl with some of the old water while I clean it out. He's usually moody for a day or two after I do this, but then he brilliant. I've moved him into a quiet corner from the other, more busy, location I had him. I believed it caused him a lot of stress. I thought he was ill and that I would lose him. Nope, he's just the quiet type.

Don't worry about all the steps mentioned. Set up a plan of action and take it one day (or $) at a time. Make the best use of your funds.

Bruce Li is very fortunate that you picked him out for "adoption".
lmh5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good friend. Bettas like warm water to about 80`F. They made small drop in heaters for bowls that don't cost much. I would look into getting one for him. Once you get a bigger tank for him you can upgrade! Keep a look out for sales on stuff too. Better to stock up while you can and I know time you will have everything you need!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #9 
plakatfighter123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel Delacroix View Post
I didn't know this.
me too
plakatfighter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #10 
Abby

I didnt either. but i dont just dive in hell for leather with the net. i slowly lower the net in and let it sit for a minute and dastan comes racing over to inspect it then i slowly ( i HAVE to go slow so i dont disturb the live plants and gravel lol as well as spooking the fish) slide it to the glass. its a good sized soft net and he doesnt cause too much drama. NERO on the other hand is a right turd all round. when i was releasing him after floating him he went nutty and all i was doing was slowly tipping the submerged bag into the water lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote