Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #1 
bamsuddenimpact

Question Can fin rot develop in a day??

I just got him last night and am afraid that he might have fin rot.

bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What size is the tank, water temp, filtration, additives, live plants.....I know he is new but this will give us a better idea on how to help you...a pic would be great and if you could tell us more about what fins are involved and any behavior/symptoms you see...sometimes all you need to do is start a daily 50-100% water changes on him for 4-6 days....if it is advanced you may need to QT and start an aquarium salt 1tsp/gal 10 day treatment.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

i did post pics, they just decided not to show. give me a second, I uploaded them on flickr private and am now trying to unprivatize them
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]72-74 is the highest it will go right now, not an adjustable heater/ i have another heater i am going to try as soon as the current one cools down[/color]
Does your tank have a filter? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]It did, but I was worried the bettas would be affected by the flow and removed it
[/color]Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] No[/color]
Is your tank heated? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Yes![/color]
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Himself[/color]

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"] I have tried alternating between pellets, but i am thinking those are too big, flakes for bettas, and the container type bloodworms. the new one seems to like the bloodworms, never saw the others eat but the bloodworms were missing shortly after put in tank[/color]
How often do you feed your betta fish? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Twice daily.[/color]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I try to take one bowl out every other day( the bowl is like a quarter of my tank)[/color]
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]According to my estimations, 25%(though they never stay around long enough for more water changes)[/color]
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I just got stress zyme yesterday to help build up bacteria they told me. and the lady at petco gave me some of their water(like 2+ gallons with conditioner to see if we can correct this)[/color]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I have petco test it[/color]

Ammonia: [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Good[/color]
Nitrite:[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]IDK[/color]
Nitrate:[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]IDK[/color]
pH:[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]was 7.2 but the current water is 6.8(petco water)[/color]
Hardness: [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]A bit soft i believe, not sure about current water[/color]
Alkalinity: [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]IDK[/color]

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? nope, gave me a bubble nest the first night
When did you start noticing the symptoms? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Next morning[/color]
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? only owned a day
How old is your fish (approximately)? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Not sure[/color]
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 
bamsuddenimpact

please help.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #7 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsuddenimpact View Post
please help.
It's really hard to tell because you just got him so you don't really know if that's his natural colouring or not..
When i got Chairman Mao I thought his tail had black tips, but it was really fin rot, and his fins disintegrated and then he died :( He had a whole host of other problems too, poor little guy only lasted a few days.

Watch him very closely and if you suspect it's not just his colouring I'd go get him some medication ASAP, or if you can afford it, just go get the medication and keep a close eye and if he needs it, use it. If not, you have it just incase.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #8 
bamsuddenimpact

My pet store was closed, so I got epsom salt. I heard that was an ok substitute for aquarium salt. how much should i use in a 2.5 gallon?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #9 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsuddenimpact View Post
My pet store was closed, so I got epsom salt. I heard that was an ok substitute for aquarium salt. how much should i use in a 2.5 gallon?
I believe it is one tablespoon per gallon, but I am not 100% sure so I would wait until someone confirms this dose before adding it.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #10 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
I believe it is one tablespoon per gallon, but I am not 100% sure so I would wait until someone confirms this dose before adding it.
actually, AQUARIUM SALT is one tablespoon per gallon.
I believe epsom salts are a little more hardcore on the fish, so the dose is smaller.
You should be safe with one and a half tablespoons, i would try that for now, and then hopefully someone else can let you know if you need more.

Or is it teaspoons??

yEAH... wait till someone else confirms, i'm still pretty new with this stuff too.