Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #1 
lam1844

New Betta Sick? Please help!

I bought my betta fish, Fireball, two weeks ago. He lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I use a water conditioner in the tank as well. He is active and has a good appetite. When I was feeding him dinner tonight, I noticed a small bump on the top of his head (a picture is attached). The bump was NOT there yesterday. What is the cause of this sudden bump? Are there any products or medications I can buy to help him? Please help!!
Attached Images

lam1844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #2 
Kethlas

He's beautiful!

Hmm...is he extremely interactive? Looks like he may have been bumping his head up against the wall of his tank a little too much - maybe he sees something outside that's interesting?

They can be curious little devils...if he's in a high traffic area of the house, perhaps try moving him, or shielding his view of things for awhile. I don't think he's sick, but even if he is, moving him somewhere less stressful will still help. If you're really worried, give him some small pieces of fresh garlic.

Good luck!
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

Oh wow, hes gorgeous!

Were his fins like that when you bought him? in the picture, it looks like they're not there.. his caudal, i mean :)

Not really sure about his head.. maybe it is him bumping against the tank? As long as he is acting normally, i dont see an issue.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and what a lovely Betta you have....

Since he is otherwise acting and eating normally-it may just be a self injury of some type....I would watch the area for any changes and any changes in behavior and start making some daily 50% water changes for a few days to help prevent any secondary infection due to the break in the skin.

And then-since this is a 2.5g filtered tank-I would add an extra 50% water only change to your regular twice weekly water change routine for a couple of weeks- that would give you a total of 3 water changes a week-2-50% water only and 1- 50% with substrate cleaning with either a vacuum or stir and dip method.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
lam1844

Fireball is doing better...

Well, his first bump healed within a day, but he developed a new bump the next day! The second bump is gone and he seems to be doing fine. He is quite active, so I agree that the bumps were self-injuries. Thank you for the help & suggestions.
lam1844 is offline   Reply With Quote