Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Question White stuff on the glass?

There is this layer if white-clear stuff on my tank glass with many small concentrated white dots. It came off then I was getting something off the inside of the tank. I thought it might be algae but I though algae was green?

Would it be safe to do an 80% water change and just wipe it off before I put new water in? This is in my cycling tank and I am currently on Day 7 and the ammonia is off the charts and I am registering 0.25 Nitrites.

I'm just curious if this is something to worry about because I really don't want to re-cycle my tank. Is it also safe to rinse out the filter if stuff gets in there? Not like the cartridge but the thing is sits in.

Sorry for these questions I just want this tank to be safe when it's ready. I have live plants in there now as well.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

Its probably scum.. Is it formed along the surface of the water?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #3 
c4talys7

There's some left over from where the water evaporated but it's all over the walls. I didn't notice it before until I turned the light on. It came off and left a streak when I grabbed something off the tank wall.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

You should probably do a 100% water change..because whatever is in the water is probably what is causing it.. and if you dont change the water completely it will most likely come back. And if you have a filter in the tank you will need to clean that out as well..
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

Sounds like you added to much of something and that is extra slime coating on everything.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #6 
sjones

I have that too on my cycling tank, it looks like mildew or dome kind of mold spores, I'm just goign to wipe it off when I do my water change
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote