Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 
Kethlas

One Tank or Two?

So, I'm moving in a week and a half, and Avalon & Camelot are coming with me (Merlin stays with my fiance in his dorm for one more semester). Right now I have them each in temporary 1/2 gallon tanks, but I plan on giving them plenty of space once I settle into my new place, which for purposes of this thread is a single bedroom.

The debate I'm having with myself is if I should give them each separate 5 gallon kits, or go with a single 10 gallon kit and divide it in half?

The ten gallon kit would be less expensive and would require buying less things (only one timer, for example), however, I'm still not entirely sure where I could fit a larger tank and still have room for the guinea pigs I'm supposedly getting for my birthday in a month (whole other story there >>). Also, I've never used a divider before, and I'm not sure of the cost, nor of how they would react to it...or even if the 10 gal kit (which has a hood and "built in" filter) would even work with a divider.

The two five gallons, however, I know I have the space for - one on one of my bedside tables, and the other on my desk next to my computer. It'd be more expensive; I'd have to buy two air pumps, two timers, two heaters and thermometers, but I wouldn't have to worry about them hurting themselves trying to get at each other, or the divider falling while I'm at work...

I can afford the cost of each (hooray for employee discounts!), so price isn't an option, really, though it's certainly something to consider. I guess my real worry comes from using the divider, honestly. I know a lot of people here use them, so some input would be nice to help me make up my mind.
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

I say get two 5 gallon tanks. It whould be easyer too in the long run if one should get sick the other whould be completely seporated.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #3 
lilchiwolf

ooo...you could divide them each and get more bettas! :P
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Go with 2 five gallons. Less stressful for you. You won't have to worry about the dividers and cross contamination of disease.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Go with 2 five gallons. Less stressful for you. You won't have to worry about the dividers and cross contamination of disease.
I agree!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Yeah, if you just get the 2 five gallons you wont have to worry while your at work or anything :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote