Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 
ParisRose

New Tank...

I recently (Monday 24) lost my beloved Napoleon but I just can't look an an empty tank. I woke up to feed him today and it took me a little bit to realize that there's no water in the tank... So I need a new fish. I'm looking at the pet store tomorrow. I think he died of Ich... probably caused by temp fluctuations. Stupid topfin heater....

Anyway! I bleached the tank. (2 cups of bleach in a 10 gal) Then rinsed it out a lot with hot water. All his stuff got soaked. I'm pretty sure I got all the residue off. (any sure way I can tell?) So when I get the new fish I can't set up the tank soon enough to acclimate him. Can I let him live in a mason jar for a few days? Only 1-3 and I'll be there to watch over him and stuff. It's just because I don't want to have him floating while I'm at school or work.

It's a 10 gal. Do I have to cycle fishless? It has a heater (fluval) and a filter (tetra whisper) Or can I just put him in there and do weekly 10-20 percent water changes? I don't have any substrate. It's just a pain.

Also, there's no way I could put a sorority in 5 gal could I? If I split the tank? It might be too much work for me. It's just a thought. Maybe another male? Opinions? If I did split the tank I wouldn't get the 2nd one until about a few months after I only had the one. Oh and is there something wrong with freeze dried brine shrimp (except for the fact it smells and you have to break small pieces off)?
I just don't want anything to go terribly wrong this time... It scares me... Thanks for enduring this post.

I'm sorry for the scatter brained ness of this post. I'm still a little upset

P.S. If anyone ever wants a memorial to their fish/any other animal/person I guess. I do a mean job at making videos for it. I'll post a vid in a memorial post soon.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for the loss of your fish. Freeze dried shrimp is fine but it should be rehydrated to avoid digestive problems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 
Jupiter

I've never used bleach to clean a tank, so I have no idea. All I know is that you have to rinse it several times with hot water, and then it's a good idea to leave it out for a day in the sun...but depending on where you live, it'll be pretty hard to do that since it's winter and all...

How big is a mason jar? Regardless, he should be okay for a few days if you do water changes.

Cycling will take a month, so you might as well do a fish-in cycle. It'll be okay as long as you regularly moniter the water parameters and do small water changes daily, sometimes a few times a day.

Sororities can't go in a 5 gal. you need at least 10 gallons for a sorority. Splitting is fine though.

Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote