Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #1 
Lordsameth

Fixing bad habits in Betta

Recently, my Biscotti has taken to, not only jumping, but biting and attacking when I go to feed him. It was cute at first, but his outbursts are getting really violent, and I am concerned for his well being, not just with jumping out of the tank, but with injuring himself when I react. Frankly, it is startling when he bites me, and if I don't see him and I a mucking around the tank for whatever reason (usually cleaning) he startles me into jumping. One time I almost squished him.

I guess it didn't help this time when he jumped and bit me I was giving him his first EVER meal of blood worms...

I know Betta are violent by nature, but is there a reason he does this, or a way I can mellow him out a bit?
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Bob Marley music?

I like to use tweezers or forceps when I feed...doesn't contaminate the tank and my bettas are more wary of them than my fingers. Try not to make him jump for food as much if you like to do it.

IAL helps "mellow out" bettas by creating dark water which is a part of their natural environment..it also lowers Ph.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #3 
Lordsameth

I hate him jumping for his food... It scares me so much. He was so much more mellow when i first got him, but really roughed up after I installed his heater.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #4 
Aluyasha

Hmmm, he must be really territorial. I had a Paradise fish that would attack me when I put my hand in her tank. She got a little better when I moved her to a larger tank. You could try that.
I do not know about Bettas, but Cichlids tend to become less aggressive the more space they have.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #5 
Grundylady

Bo does this also. At first I thought his coming to the front of the tank whenever anyone was in the room was a greeting. But whenever I get really close he flares at me.

When I hold my finger over the tank he bites at me. (NOT if I put my hand in to move the thermometer or adjust the plant.)

In fact he will jump at my finger and THEN take the food floating in his tank. lol But he only jumps before the first piece of food.

I guess I won't be making that community tank with him in it. :(
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Sometimes, when bettas get too aggressive, a change of scenery can lower their agression. Try moving around (drastically) his plants and other decor. It might help. Also, try distracting him while feeding, maybe that will help.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 
Lordsameth

Hmm he's getting even worse now, but he also tore his tail really bad last night so that would explain it. He comes to the top of the tank and thrashes at me, and when I put my hand in for any reason it is a violent all out brawl against it. I dip my finger in, and he'll bite it 6-8 times before i can pull it out. Very aggressive, lol.

But he sure likes the new pink plants, and I have determined he attacks more viciously when I go anywhere near them. He sleeps on them and hides in the cave often, so I am pretty sure that is his problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
ChicagoPete

O my gosh what a lil meaney lol!!!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote