Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 AM   #11 
Nanglebadger

thanks for the warm welcome all!! must say i get an excellent vibe from the forum!! really lookin forward to being involved.

@oldfishlady - yeah, the whole idea was to keep multiple males in one tank as we'd never really seen it done other than in petstores where they're kept in those little cubes, and i had a mental image of how 6 males would look side by side. my brother's girlfriend is an artist and she did up a bit of a rendering to give us a visual idea, and i'm itching to get it home and running!

i have no plans to breed or spawn no, that would be out of my depth, i simply want to keep the six gents for their aesthetic qualities.

i think options here in NI are fairly limited in terms of what's available, we have made enquiries into finding a black betta, but it simply doesnt seem feasible here, nor do half moons or a number of the variants. however, i am more than happy to be keeping 3 crown tails and 3 VTs. to go along with my purple CT, red VT, and red and white VT, when i go shopping i hope to find a nice blue gent, and i'd love to find a lovely marble too, as for the remaining one, i'll be open to suggestions on the day i go!

thanks for the warm welcome all, its very much appreciated! i will most definately be gettin some pictures as soon as its running and stocked. The cover-glass supports should be going on today all being well, which just leaves the cover glass itself to sort. shouldn't be long now!

Phil.
Nanglebadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #12 
mand

Welcome, i'm from southern Ireland. Looking forward to seeing pics of your crowntails when you get them i'm finding it near impossible to find anything other than veiltails near me.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #13 
Nanglebadger

Hi mand!

There is a large Dobbies store has just opened in Lisburn recently, i had a look in there about 2 weeks ago but was very unimpressed. all the fighters were so young it was difficult to distinguish the gender of some of them, but they had multiple young males in one tank, rather obvious due to continual flaring. probably not the best idea! I will probably stick my head in there as it'll be en route to the other places, but i dont expect i'll be buying anything from them.

Next on my port of call will be Grosvenor Tropicals in Lisburn, followed by Exotic Aquatics in Belfast (where my brother works). They get their stock from the same wholesalers, so i will simply be comparing what the two stores have in terms of colours and tails available. I hadn't heard of any troubles getting crown tails up here, but i will make enquiries. my brother asked around his colleagues and bosses, but no one has seen or heard of any black bettas here or of any variants other than veil tails or crown tails, so it appears we are somewhat restricted over here - not that i mind because before i read this forum i was only aware of VTs and crowns and it was those that generated my interest in Bettas in the first place!

i'll keep u posted!

Phil.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #14 
Tomsk

Hi and welcome to the forum!,
Sounds like your have a lovely set-up with some uber Bettas.Just don't forget to post pics when you can

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #15 
Nanglebadger

thanks Tom! it should be pretty eye catching when its running.

The tank came home last nite with some soil, a set of magnets and some JBL Water Conditioner for Fighting Fish. The plan is to have water in it this weekend, then to add my current VT and CT during the week, and if all is well and healthy, then hopefully next weekend i'll be off hunting for my remaining 3 gents.

there's a little bit of trimming required on the silicone as yet as it was still drying last nite, but now that its home and iv seen it in the flesh im even more excited! a grown man excited over a few panes of glass!! lol awesome!

pictures will be posted just as soon as its fully populated with the full compliment of 6 bettas, 6 shrimp and one aquatic frog who i have been warned does some shouting in the nite. my brother is also trying to talk me into 6 very tiny corydoras to assist the shrimp in keeping everything clean. as yet im undecided as i initially wanted a fighter only set up, but these corys are a dwarf-like variation that stay very small and wouldnt detract from my main attractions!! lol!

I'll keep everyone posted and again thank you all for the warm welcome!

Phil.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #16 
Aluyasha

Welcome to the world of Betta obession, Phil!
Say, just a thought, you might want to try glancing at AquaBid.com if you are looking for certain colour or fin type. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #17 
Nanglebadger

Thanks Aluyasha!

i've had a brief look on aquabid, some beautiful fish there. as im new to looking after my own tank rather than relying on my brother to help, i want to get a firm handle on fish keeping and maintenance and upkeep so that i'm not constantly needing his help, gotta learn to do things myself. i'd have a few reservations about having a betta shipped all the way to NI, but maybe when im a bit more confident in my own abilities to look after my fish i'll consider buying something from them, i'd hate to make an investment in a black betta only for my own ignorance to cause something to go wrong.

update - tank is now filled with water and the Eheim filter up and running. Heater is also in and running, along with JBL Water Conditioner for Fighting Fish. so far its on schedule. plan is to run it empty for 24 to 48 hours to check for any leaks, but so far she's solid. in a few days then we'll drain it, clean it, add the JBL soil and the gravel, and put the water back in, probably with some Safe Start to keep things safe. then plants/weed and the first two boys should be ready to enter their new home!

Phil.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #18 
Aluyasha

Cannot wait for pictures!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #19 
Nanglebadger

Cheers Aluyasha, pics will definately follow once its up and running and stocked.

Ok, currently running on schedule. Last nite we drained the water and added the JBL Aquabasis Plus soil and the gravel (black and dark purple), and then replcaed the water. Pump/filter ran all night but the water still hasn't cleared, currently sitting bright red, but it'll settle down soon enough.

The filter is an Eheim Eco Pro 300, the heater is a Rena Smart Heater 50, and we're using an Arcadia light with a Marine White bulb. So far, so good!

Phil.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #20 
Nanglebadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanglebadger View Post
Cheers Aluyasha, pics will definately follow once its up and running and stocked.

Ok, currently running on schedule. Last nite we drained the water and added the JBL Aquabasis Plus soil and the gravel (black and dark purple), and then replcaed the water. Pump/filter ran all night but the water still hasn't cleared, currently sitting bright red, but it'll settle down soon enough.

The filter is an Eheim Eco Pro 300, the heater is a Rena Smart Heater 50, and we're using an Arcadia light with a Marine White bulb. So far, so good!

Phil.
edit* its an Eheim Ecco Pro 130, my bad.

hmmmmmmm, soil is not settling at all. we've even turned the filter off and its STILL cloudy, can see no more than 2-3cms into the tank. hopefully by the time i'm home tonight it'll have cleared a bit. this has put us behind schedule now, but its no biggy. We still hope to add the plants, CT and VT this week and then at the weekend i can pick up two more boys and temporarily keep them in the tanks the two boys are currently in until we're ready to transfer them over, and i can still get the shrimp all being well.

so, progress. slow, but still progress.

Phil.