Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #1 
Kpoo97

What should I do?

On Sunday, I went to Petsmart to go get a new fish since Pippin had passed on (Plus, my doggeh had training class). So after class, I went to the betta section to browse. I noticed that several of the fishes (3-5) had already gone on to fishy heaven. And lots of them were swimming in their own filth.

Should I call PETA on petsmart? I'd hate to see them go out of business, but I don't want any more fishes to suffer.
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #2 
Kpoo97

Also, for my birthday I usually get $125 all total from my family members. When I get all my money, should I buy several of those "Dual Betta Hex with Gravel and Plant by Lee's" and save some bettas from the abusive Petsmart? I could give some of the bettas away to good homes and keep some of them for myself.
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoo97 View Post
On Sunday, I went to Petsmart to go get a new fish since Pippin had passed on (Plus, my doggeh had training class). So after class, I went to the betta section to browse. I noticed that several of the fishes (3-5) had already gone on to fishy heaven. And lots of them were swimming in their own filth.

Should I call PETA on petsmart? I'd hate to see them go out of business, but I don't want any more fishes to suffer.
don't call PETA, they are not much help. I would talk to the manager and tell him if the bettas don't get proper care I will stop giving you my buisness. Make it clear that seeing dead and unhealthy fish makes you sick and not wanna shop there. You are a "valued costumer" so they will ether take it into consideration or just not care at all. When I see fish treated like that at a store I wont buy from that store.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When you find conditions like this it is best to call a manager to the area and show them and voice your concerns-if you don't get the response from the manager that you like-get there name and write a letter to the headquarters giving the store number and the managers name along with detailed information on what you found and the conversation between you and the manager...etc.....

Please do not report to PETA-their goal is to stop ALL fish keeping for everyone and once they do that they plan on working on getting all the other pets like snakes, birds, hamsters, dog, cat, horses....etc......from being kept by us as pets.....I have not nor will I ever support PETA and the like.....I do not agree with their methods nor their goals......if it was up to them-none of us would have pets of any kind, eat meat, use animals for experiments that save humans lives...etc........look up HR669 and you will see what I am talking about...this bill failed....its just a matter of time before the next one...so please don't give them any ammo/information to help them take our pets away from us.....

Rant over.....sorry.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

Also, if there is a petco near you and you want some better fish I would go there. Of look up fish stores in your area using google search.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Don't buy the Lee's Dual Betta Hex thing. That only sends them a message that it's selling, and they will order more because they think people want it!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #7 
Jupiter

PETA is pretty crazy...I would definitely NOT ask them for help...

And if you buy those little homes, it doesn't matter for WHAT purpose you buy them for...no matter how good-natured your intentions are, they're still being sold, so the store will just re-stock with more. It won't make a difference.

Instead, try to talk to a manager who works there about it.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #8 
Emmalea

Just on the subject of Peta I think that the saying 'one bad apple spoils the lot' really applies, the majority of Peta are not crazy people at all.
It's just that the crazy ones always seem to make the news, though this seems to be true with most things.
Anyway the best thing to do is to let the manager know about how you feel about the way the fish are being kept, however please try to stay calm and polite they will take you much more seriously if you do.
If you do decide to rescue some of the fish please make sure that you can offer them quality care, IMO spending your money on one fish and then spoiling it rotten is better than taking on more then you can handle/afford and then giving them low quality care/small tanks.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalea View Post
Just on the subject of Peta I think that the saying 'one bad apple spoils the lot' really applies, the majority of Peta are not crazy people at all.
It's just that the crazy ones always seem to make the news, though this seems to be true with most things.
Research PETA and you will find that the craziness come from the leaders-down........
Look at their record...they actually kill more healthy adoptable animals than they re-home...I will find the link and post it for you later......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #10 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalea View Post
If you do decide to rescue some of the fish please make sure that you can offer them quality care, IMO spending your money on one fish and then spoiling it rotten is better than taking on more then you can handle/afford and then giving them low quality care/small tanks.
This.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote