Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Paranoid about Disease

I got a new fish from Petsmart last night. All of the bettas were in horrible condition, with shredded fins and dirty water. A couple of them had very suspicious white dots on them, and one was DEAD, with greyish fuzzy stuff all over him. I wanted to rescue a betta from this awful situation, but I am not at all experienced with treating betta illness, fortunately, the betta that "called to me" looked pretty healthy. She is very small, so I assume young, swam around her cup nicely (not spazzing and trying to jump out like a couple were doing, but not floating lifelessly like some others). But I am still paranoid about disease, especially if equipment/materials that were used with sick fish came into contact with her or her water. I don't seen any signs of columnaris or velvet, and I don't see any white spots on her, but she is white, so I really have no idea! Maybe I'm just paranoid, but seeing those conditions makes me scared.

Right now she is in a temporary 1g container while my 2.5 g minibow gets set up (everything is in, I just want to run the new filter and new heater for a day or two to make sure everything works). Should I add aq salt to her 2.5 gallon tank for when she goes in there? What about maracyn? Or should I treat her now, while she's in the 1g? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid and shouldn't be so worried about illness since she doesn't have any signs that I can see?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Although a salt treatment wouldn't hurt at this point...often the clean dechlorinated correct temp water will work from the improved water quality..... especially with a younger Betta-their immune response will kick in and take care of anything else that may be wrong...

If she is otherwise acting fine and eating-I would keep her in the 1gal for a few days along with daily 50% water only changes and just watch her for any signs and symptoms of any other issue and feed small frequent meals to boost nutrition....

Keep us posted and if she start to show symptoms of anything I would start her on a 10day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes while in QT....

Love to see some pics
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Thank you so much for your advice. I took a closer look at her today, and it looked like she MIGHT have some white spots on her anal fin, it's hard to tell. I took a picture of her, I will upload it tomorrow when I get a chance.

She is still eating and acting normally; I have not been feeding her much because she is so small, I don't want her to get constipated. Right now she's been getting three pellets a day.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Here is a picture of her. She is a very active fish, so it wasn't easy to get a picture that wasn't TOO blurry! In person, she is not so yellow, and her fins have a sort of iridescent tinge to them.

I know she has a few tears in her fins, but I'm sure good water conditions will help heal those. Other than that, does she look healthy? Do those white spots toward the bottom of her anal fin look like ich?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #5 
naturegirl243

It does look like maybe the start of ich,It might be hard to tell cause she is white but it looks like it,It's highly possible it is if other fish had it it is super contagous(can't spell that word) and spreads like no other.She is very pretty though.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #6 
Sara07013

It kills me to hear the conditions bettas are kept in at pet stores. If I could I would rescue every single one! Thanks for saving her!
Sara07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

That's what I was afraid of, thank you for confirming my suspicions. I have started her on the salt treatment Old Fish Lady recommended, so hopefully that should take care of it.

Will boiling the supplies I have used for her (net, the cup I keep her in for wc's, the tweezers I feed her with, etc.) kill any ich parasites on them? I don't want to reinfect her by using contaminated supplies.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Yea def looks like Ich.
Better safe then sorry. my resucue betta was one of the healthyer ones in the store, but because the owner used the same net on the completly funugal infected bettas and all of the betta tanks waters where filtered ect through all the tanks i have it in a multi-cure and salt tank with 100% water change every 2 days. Good on your for saving her there needs to be more people out there like you and many others i have seen on this site :)
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #9 
Pekemom

She's really pretty. How is she doing?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Yup something parasitic...try warm temps and something like Ick Away.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote