Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #11 
cjayBetta

I dont understand why pet stores continue to keep betta's in these conditions. My pet store (pet's unlimited) always has them on this wall of cups and every time i see them they are at the bottom fins clamped.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #12 
LolaQuigs

Thanks everyone. I think she's doing pretty well; if it wasn't for the spots I'd have no idea anything was wrong with her: it took her no time to adjust to her new (albeit temporary) home, she is very active and curious, and she LOVES to eat.

I am keeping her in a heated 1 gallon quarantine tank and treating the water with the conditioner I always use (Prime) and 1 tsp of aquarium salt. Hopefully this will kill of all of the nasty little parasites!

I'm looking forward to moving her into her 2.5 gallon tank once I am finished treating her for ich.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #13 
LolaQuigs

I've just noticed some new spots on her caudal fin; does that mean the salt treatment isn't working?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #14 
tsoto80

She a pretty girl! wish I had an all white girl. I been looking but no luck. You have a name for her yet?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
I've just noticed some new spots on her caudal fin; does that mean the salt treatment isn't working?
What else are you doing besides the salt and how much salt are you using...water temp and water changes...also is she in QT for the treatment....any behavior changes and appetite?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #16 
LolaQuigs

I am doing daily 100% water changes. She is quaranteened in a one gallon conainer; I add two drops of prime and one tsp of aquarium salt to her new water each change. Her container is heated to 76 degrees, unfortunately all of my other heaters, even the ones for small tanks, get too hot for a one gallon.

She is still acting and eating normally.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 02-02-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #17 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
She a pretty girl! wish I had an all white girl. I been looking but no luck. You have a name for her yet?
Thank you! I am not so sure that she really is all white...she has some light orangish pink spots at the base of her fins, which makes me wonder if she might change colors as she gets older. I guess I'll find out! Hopefully she will kick this ich so i don't have to worry so much. I have named her Calliope, after the asteroid. I like outer space names for my bettas. :)
Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #18 
lavallin

Wow, she is so beautiful... what a cutie! And Calliope is a great name.

Is there anyway you can get her water temp up to 85 or so? This can speed the life cycle of ich so that it falls off faster.

Boy, I hate ich.. her's doesn't look too bad right now though. Good luck, and hope she can beat it soon! Keep us updated.
lavallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #19 
LolaQuigs

I do have other heaters that will raise the water temp to 85, I am just afraid they might go even higher than that...one heats my 2.5 gal to 82 and the other heats it to 84, so I was afraid to try them in a 1 gal, I don't want to cook her! How hot is too hot for a betta to withstand?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Looking back it looks like you may have started her on the salt treatment on 1/30...correct...so treating for about 3-4 days...right?

She is in a 1gal QT getting 100% daily water changes with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt, water temp 76F...she is still eating and acting okay but is starting to get more parasites on her.....

If the 1gal Qt has gravel or lots of decorations I would remove everything except for a hiding spot....but even better.....put her in a small QT container that can be floated in a heated tank and get the temp up to at least 85-86F and then pre-mix your salt 1tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and use the pre-mixed salt water for your daily water changes

I use a clean 1gal milk jug to pre-mix my treatment water and if you have any tannins to add...all the better but you don't have to.....it won't speed killing the parasites or anything...just helps with stress and healing of the wounds left by the parasites......

By getting the water temp up you speed the parasite life cycle so they fall off the fish faster so you can manually remove them faster from the water....

The salt can help kill the parasite to a degree, however, some of these parasites can develop resistant to salt and the salt will not do much as far as the parasites are concerned...I found it better to remove the parasite the easiest with frequent water changes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote