Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Help with frogbit small snails

Hey
I just got a bunch of frogbit off of aquabid.com. I didn't notice it until now, but I see about 5 small snails in my tank from the plants. I was actually wanting to get mystery snails so this doesn't bother me much. But I have been reading about how snails multiply into uncontrolleable factions. Is it alright if I keep these small snails in the tank? Will they eat up all my frogbit? Will my male betta fish eat them? Thank you!

I hear I can get rid of them fairly easy with a piece of lettuce so that shouldn't be too hard, I just got questions about them.

Here is one:

jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Personally I like the common snails and they have a place and job in my heavy planted tanks...I have never had any problems with them eating my plants only dead or dying plant material and I want them to eat this...lol...
However, they can get out of control pretty fast if not kept in check by manual removal.....my Bettas do eat or pick at the small snails and I will crush one or two on occasion and the Bettas and other fish, snails, shrimp eat them....I trap and remove them on a regular basis to keep them under control without a problems.....for me....the common snail is just part of my closed ecosystem and another interest point...but that me...laffs...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #3 
jschristian44

thanks oldfishlady. that was my best guess when confronted with these snails. i honestly dont mind them at all, i just dont want them eating my plants or becoming way out of control in population. but yeah removal sounds easy and if they dont eat my plants they should be fine with me! thanks for the info!
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote