Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #1 
akjadestar

Churro's Tale <3

So I decided to write a story, about my own betta. I was really inspired by baylee's stories... so yeah, I've began writing one about Churro, because he has had quite a journey! I apologize to Baylee, because I asked if it was okay to use her idea of calling the humans 'feeders' but then I got way too impatient and I just wanted to post my story and see what you guys think! If you want, Baylee, I can always change the names of humans from now on, I did get a few ideas they just weren't nearly as good. (:
SOOO! Here we go, hope you all like it!

Part 1:

I slowly awoke as haunting memories from a couple days ago filled my mind again. I remembered swimming around in my container when I felt my water shaking, a sure sign that a feeder was approaching. I had watched all around me as other betta's I had grown up around were being dumped out of their containers into flimsy looking bags, only before the feeder had carried them away to another room. I had swam around frantically, moving in a quick circle, then dipping up and down in the water, something I always did when I was nervous. What was happening to my brothers and sisters? Was I next? Just then, the top of my container was taken away by a feeder and I saw their large, flat face appear above the limits of my water, it's features distorted by the quivering surface. I wanted to jump but with the feeders eyes glaring down on me I knew it was a bad idea. My container was lifted up and I darted to the bottom nervously. I was carried a few paces away, and just then, I saw my container being held over one of the open bags.
“Oh no! No no no no no!” I tried with all my strength to swim to the back of my container, but my own water was pushing me forward and I screamed as the whole world seemed to fall, but seconds later, I landed, with my water, into the bag. My heart drummed and I watched as the feeder pumped some air into the top of the bag, and then it was tied shut. The feeder roughly grabbed the top of the bag and to my terror, I realized was being carried to the other room, me and my water swaying side to side the whole time. I tried not to think about what horrifying things were about to happen. And then, finally, I felt my bag touch flat ground. I could see that my brothers and sisters were all around me, in similar bags. I quickly swam over to my side, as far as I could go, and saw a vibrant red betta darting back and forth in his own bag. “Hi there! Do you know what's going on?” I shouted. He didn't seem to hear me. “Hello?” I called, with a nervous tone. Just then, a large square lid appeared from above, quickly descending towards us in our box. There were a few screams around me, and then the world had went black.
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #2 
akjadestar

Should I keep going?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #3 
Miharu
Banned

I really like it so far!!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #4 
baylee767

It's a good story! As I posted on your profile, it's okay with me to call humans feeders. You really should keep going, I'm desperate to know what happens next!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #5 
akjadestar

Thanks a lot! Okay, second part is right here, and it's REALLY long!

Part 2:

I blinked as I tried to further remember what had happened but the whole mess of it made my head hurt. Instead I focused on what was going on here, now. For instance, where on earth was I? I suddenly realized I was lying on my side, on the bottom of this bare container, looking up though my strange blue water, with one eye at a bright glaring light. I winced and closed my eyes half way, letting them adjust for a moment. Then I heaved myself up, with quite some effort, I was stiff and sore. I swam up to get some air, and as I did, I realized two things: I had reached the surface very quickly, and above me, I saw a light blue and pink betta swimming around in the same kind of blue water. He was in a very small container. I realized, I must be in the same kind of container as him, too. I swam around the perimeter of my container in a quick second, and felt panicked. This was even smaller than the bag I had been in! It was cold, and there was loud noise all around me. I darted around a few more times as uneasiness crept over me, and then I just felt tired... tired and worn out. I sank to the bottom of my container in dismay. Was this going to be my life from now on? I wriggled around trying to get comfortable but it seemed impossible with such little space. Just as I finally settled, there was a harsh whisper that seemed to come from right next to me.
“Is that YOU making all that racket? Keep it down, will you? Some of us are trying to rest.” I flinched in surprise and spun around to see who had said that.
“Over here!” the voice hissed.
I stopped moving abruptly and then swam quickly to the back of my container. On the other side, I could see a shiny blue male, flaring at me from his own container.
“I – I'm sorry...” I said, really meaning it. I hadn't seen him there, and I was just so scared from all this stuff suddenly going on. I was about to explain, but then I noticed how he was carefully scrutinizing me, and then he left his long, flowy fins droop again and his gills went back to normal.
“So, you're a newcomer, huh?” he asked with a bit of amusement in his voice.
“Yes! Yes!” I said eagerly and wiggled up against the edge of my container. “What about you? Did you just arrive as well?” Maybe some of my brothers and sisters were here with me! Maybe I wasn't the only one!
“Am I? No no no...” he sighed rather sadly. “I've been here as long as I can remember.”
“Oh...” I said, uncertainly “What's it like?”
“Kid, it may seem harsh, but I'll warn you now. You have the right to be uneasy about this place. You'll always be trapped in these small containers, which never get cleaned by the way. As we speak I can nearly feel my fins are disintegrating from all this rotted food in my water. There's all sorts of noise and feeders are constantly stomping by. I'm sorry you had to end up here like I did, kid.”
As I heard him speak, my heart drummed desperately. I let it all soak in for a moment just hovering there, frozen to the spot as this stranger watched me with a grim expression. Finally I looked at him, and realized that his long fins were black and ragged at the edges and there was brown and orange gunk littered all over the bottom of his container.
“Try not to worry about it though,” he said, obviously feeling bad about how he had just scared me “Just think, one day, a great feeder is gonna came, take us away, and put us in a beautiful warm home full of plants to swim and sleep in! And your water always stays clean, and you never go hungry. That's what I've heard.”
His words were uplifting, but for now, I was stuck here. I swam to the front of my container and looked down, where I could see what looked like a long fall to the floor, it was as if we were on some sort of shelf. I returned to the back of my container slowly.
“Thanks for the advice.” I sighed, and sank to the very bottom corner. I let that warm, happy thought pass through my head, of a caring, faithful feeder coming to take me, and it was comforting enough that I was able to forget all my problems and gently drift off into a long rest.

Last edited by akjadestar; 12-12-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 
rooroober

Aww...that makes me want to run out and save every betta in every little container! GREAT! story! :)
rooroober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #7 
akjadestar

Awwww thank you! That wasn't even my goal, but that's good to hear (:
Third part, this is it for the day, and it's considerably short compared to the first and second parts:

Part Three:

I awoke later on to find that it was dark all around me, and very quiet. I figured all the feeders were gone. I felt confused but I was grateful for the peace. I glided upwards and I could make out the shape of the betta I had talked to yesterday, as he slept. I gracefully swam to the surface of the water where I could barely see a few flakes left there for me. I gobbled them up gratefully, then swam in circles, back down to the bottom. This sure is going to take some getting used to... I thought to myself as I swam back and forth, barely able to go far before I had to turn and swim in the other direction. But, I had remembered the blue bettas words, and I let them echo themselves in my head, over and over again: One day, a great feeder is gonna come, take us away, and put us in a beautiful warm home. It was enough to get me through the next few weeks. Almost.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #8 
baylee767

Aww. I want more xD! So far so good!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #9 
akjadestar

Alright... alright... I wasn't planning on posting more today but I just finished the fourth part and I already imagine this story being EXTREMELY lengthy so I'm going to post a lot every day... So, here's the fourth part for you (:

Part Four:

In only a weeks time, I knew what the other betta had been talking about. Every day I got food, often I got way more than I could eat, and the food would eventually become soggy and fall to the bottom of my container, where it would begin to dissolve in my water which gave it a horrible burning feeling. It had hardly been a long time in this place and already I couldn't stand being in this water. Every moment there was a painful burning on each and every one of my scales, and my fins felt so itchy and bothersome, sometimes I'd just swivel around and take a few chomps out of them. I was going mad, and for once my new friends words didn't bring me any relief.
“Don't worry, you'll get used to it.” he had told me. How could he be so mellow about this? He had been here longer than any of us, he should be able to understand!
“I don't want to have to get used to it! I don't want to have to get used to a painful, uncomfortable life! I don't want to feel this way all the time! It's no fair! I just want a feeder to come and bring me out of my misery!” After little outbursts like that, he'd just leave me to be mad on my own, which was probably for the best. I didn't want to be mad at him, it wasn't his fault, but, I just needed someone to come and save me. Every time a feeder came by, I'd rush to the front of my container and follow them with pleading eyes. Most of the time they never even looked, other times they would, they'd bring their big round faces right up close and my heart would bounce but then they'd look over at another betta, and sometimes, one of the feeders who I'd seen most often would come and retrieve them for the other feeders. I had stopped even feeling happy for those lucky bettas. I just felt insane as me and my friend had to sit there and watch bettas all around us, being taken away to better lives. Some new bettas came, and they'd go just as fast. I continued to eat away at my tail, despite my friend telling me not to. I couldn't stop. I was just frustrated, and scared. I was scared that no one would ever want me. I circled around, keeping my pale orange tail in sight. Why would anyone want me? I was nothing special. The bettas getting taken were beautifully colored with grand fins. Not bettas like me and my friend. It made my heart hurt. I may not be the most special betta in the world, but why couldn't anyone save me? Please... there HAS to be someone out there... Someone who will care enough to take me in... my friend too. Just bring them here to help us, please... I begged silently. I swam up to the surface and ate up some flakes which had just been dropped from above, and then settled back down at the bottom. Just think, one day a great feeder is gonna come, and take us away.
Yes, I thought to myself. Please let that be true.

more coming up tomorrow (:

Last edited by akjadestar; 12-12-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #10 
baylee767

Aaaw poor Churro )= Good job, it's so suspensful that I can't stop reading!