Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 
Abby

Question Members view on deformed.....

whats everyones thoughts on the deformed or "curled" fins?

Benny (one of my coming bettas) has them they look cool but i know its a deformity so i wont breed him until ive have a few spawns, i cant not at least try hes colours are amazing. i havent got a pic of him though :( one week and then he will be home xD

but what do you all think of the deformed fins? i was actually told some breeders are trying to "Breed IN" the deformed fins.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure the curled fins are a deformity related to genetics or from environmental factors.....if genetics- I wouldn't breed...but if it was environmental related then the curled fins would not be passed to the offspring...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Personally I don't like the look of curled fins. It's why I won't purchase Crowntails again, their fins always melt because of something in my water, and it just looks horrible.

Some fin curling or damage is due to water conditions and not genetics. An example, is how Crowntails fins curl in hard water. I don't know what breeders would purposefully breed for deformities in the fins (although those extreme Rose-tails come to mind), but I hate when people try to sell their culls under some fancy name instead of what they realistically are.

I think unless the betta is a prime example of its breed, it probably shouldn't be bred in the first place. Even when you're just 'practicing', you are still responsible for producing a living animal, and I could imagine how difficult it would be to find a knowledgeable home for the average betta. You only have to look at videos on Youtube and even forum posts here to see that.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I agree with OFL.

I'm not one for curled fins anyway... even in CTs which is why I don't keep them right now and I wont' keep them (except in a foster/adoption situation) until I have softer water or an R/O unit. As for feather tails and other halfmoon traits with curled fins... I don't like them. I think smooth straight fins that are carried well are the most beautiful.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #5 
Abby

Well i dont know but this last shipment of fish to one petshop a LOT had curled fins, i asked if it was a deformity she said yes.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #6 
baylee767

It's not. It's just due to a high PH/hard water.

If I owned a crowntail its fins would be curled with my 8.2 PPH... even my veiltail's tail will curl at the bottom of it a bit! Hardly visible, but still there!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I like PKs...not fin problems hehe.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I like PKs...not fin problems hehe.
Also no problems with tails being torn on gravel, driftwood etc. or needing to baffle filter flow. Although mine could probably represent Australia in the Olympics for high jump. I can always tell when they're going to do it because they start wiggling their little bums.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #9 
Abby

so if his water is softer his fins will straighten?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #10 
Luimeril

i don't mind them, but i don't like them. that's why Zidane will be my only CT, and Dante will be my only HM/Delta. Dante's isn't NEARLY as bad as Zidane's(every ray on Zi's body, except his pec fins, is curled. it doesn't hurt him, but it sure looks bad), but still. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote