Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #21 
Jayy

I've also always wanted somekind of fishroom,but I kinda wanted a long custom divided tank across a wall. Filled with all kinds of fancy aquabid bettas. Aswell as two 5gal tanks on eietherside of my bed.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #22 
Goomba3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
I've also always wanted somekind of fishroom,but I kinda wanted a long custom divided tank across a wall. Filled with all kinds of fancy aquabid bettas. Aswell as two 5gal tanks on eietherside of my bed.
It's kind of funny to me, so many people on here have their "dream bettas", like ones from Aquabid. And don't get me wrong, those bettas are gorgeous and most likely worth every penny. But for me, I would use my betta room to rescue bettas from horrible pet store conditions. I look at the bettas on Aquabid and I think "Yeah, that's pretty, BUT LOOK AT MY COMMON PET STORE VEILTAIL! ISN'T HE GAW-GEOUS??" I dunno, to each his own. I guess I just feel like the bettas on Aquabid will find a home, no matter what, since the breeders obviously took the time to make quality bettas. Whereas the common pet store ones don't necessarily get the proper care. Correct me if I am wrong on this, because I don't know much about Aquabid or common breeder practices.

Though I do hope to someone have an HM, they are neato.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

The trouble with purchasing from a pet store vs buying a betta from Aquabid, is usually that by 'rescuing' a pet store betta you are only encouraging the store to continue supplying them.

It's like buying a puppy from a puppy mill vs buying a puppy from a (good) breeder. Even though you feel like you are doing the right thing by the betta, it's not really rescuing. Another betta is just going to take its place because you have shown the store that it is an item that will sell. Likewise, conditions are not likely to improve if people continue to purchase them under the illusion that they are 'rescuing' them. The store doesn't care why you buy them, only that you are.

Aquabid is also good if you intend on breeding. That way you can start with excellent foundation stock of known age, bloodlines and genetics. You should ideally be breeding nothing but the best and culling the rest, but in practice, that usually doesn't happen.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #24 
Goomba3

I never thought of that. But I suppose I feel that if I don't "rescue" them and give them a good home, they're going to go to an owner that doesn't know what they're doing.

As far as puppy mill vs. breeder, what about ASPCA or Humane Society rescuing animals and then adopting them out? Should I not support them and instead buy directly from breeders only? (Is this metaphor not working...? It was just a thought.)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

I know how hard it is to walk past the bettas in those horrible cups, when you know you can offer so much better. I admit, I have made a few sympathy purchases, but I have no qualms with telling people I purchased rather than rescued them.

With the ASPCA, since you are not directly giving money to the puppy mill owner or backyard breeder, you are not yourself condoning their practices. Furthermore, if the breeder or mill is responsible for dropping their puppies off at the shelter, they would not be financially rewarded for doing so, and there would be little incentive to continue mass-producing puppies.

Basically, if there's no market for a product, it makes fiscal sense not to continue producing it.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #26 
Goomba3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
With the ASPCA, since you are not directly giving money to the puppy mill owner or backyard breeder, you are not yourself condoning their practices. Furthermore, if the breeder or mill is responsible for dropping their puppies off at the shelter, they would not be financially rewarded for doing so, and there would be little incentive to continue mass-producing puppies.
That's also true. The ASPCA isn't the one providing the animals in the first place, they are just a middle man. I don't know, I'm still probably not going to buy a fish on Aquabid - not going to say ever, but at least not right now - simply because I'd rather not spend that amount of money on a fish. Then again, I am frugal when it comes to spending money, haha.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #27 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchiwolf View Post
Thanks for the info. I plan on doing this in a few years, so no rush. I just want ideas so I know how to set up. I am not sure about the time line of my work. Depending on where I am, but I always make sure I have time for my animals.If I worked 8 hours a day, the rest of the day I would make for my fish till I went to bed.
You're welcome!
LOL! I meant your time table for the project! Sorry for not clarifying. I meant like when are you starting and finishing the project? But you kinda answered that anyway. ;]

I'm glad that you make time for you animals! =] That shows that your a great pet-owner! =] Good luck with everything! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
My hubby and I are setting up one room dedicated to our tank pets (bettas, frogs, geckos). We plan to have it look like an outdoor location: lots of plants, steel garden frames for holding tanks, lots of sunlight. Almost like a greenhouse! If we complete it before this thread becomes obsolete I'll post pics lol
It sounds like it's going to be beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote