Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 
chargers505

Need help cycling tank.

I'm doing a "fish-in" cycle and I've found it rather difficult. I've been testing my water daily for ammonia but nothing shows up. I think the reason why is because I've been treating my water with Seachem's Prime to dechlorinate the water when I add new water. The Prime is killing my ammonia levels. Are there any other good declorinators out there that doesn't remove ammonia? Please help.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargers505 View Post
I'm doing a "fish-in" cycle and I've found it rather difficult. I've been testing my water daily for ammonia but nothing shows up. I think the reason why is because I've been treating my water with Seachem's Prime to dechlorinate the water when I add new water. The Prime is killing my ammonia levels. Are there any other good declorinators out there that doesn't remove ammonia? Please help.
What's wrong with that? I am in the same situation and using Seachem's Prime, it's the best conditioner you can get. It doesn't "remove" the ammonia, technically, it just renders it non-harmful to the fish, your tank should still cycle, and by using Prime your fish is alot less at risk than it would be with some of the other water conditioners while cycling.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #3 
chargers505

Oh...so the ammonia is still there but in a non-toxic form? And just to be sure...with the ammonia rendered, this still allows for the bacteria to grow? I did not know this. I just thought Prime completely wipes out ammonia. Thanks.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargers505 View Post
Oh...so the ammonia is still there but in a non-toxic form? And just to be sure...with the ammonia rendered, this still allows for the bacteria to grow? I did not know this. I just thought Prime completely wipes out ammonia. Thanks.
Yup.
Small print on it reads "Prime may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrate toxicity"
You're good to go. And so am i!
Yay.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote